Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsperienced Advice Needed

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I purchased a large today for my girlfriends grandfather, second hand. I got it for $375 with a few eggcessories. My main question is, I would like to get it looking as new as possible by Fathers Day. There are no cracks on or in it that I could tell, however this thing is nearly disgusting how much grease is all over the egg. It covers a total of at least a third of the outside of the egg and randomly all around. The inside has a lot of build up as well. I have read that it is best to clean the inside with a wad of aluminum foil, I figure I will get it cranked up to 600-700 for half an hour or so before doing this. Although the gasket looks nearly brand new, it may have never been cooked on at all(the gasket). I was going to pull the ring and box and shop vac out the inside, but as for the outside??? Is a product like grease lightening ok to use on the egg??? Also, he left it outdoors uncovered and it has a bit of weathering, is there a recommended product to revive its color, it doesn't seem that faded, just needs to be polished. I know TNW has info on his site about cleaning, but any thoughts from the wise will be much appreciated. I have an incredibly busy day tomorrow and wanted to go ahead and get some responses by Friday. In the mean time I may not be replying, but if anyone asks any questions in a reply I will try to get back with them. Also, the bolts are a bit rusty, is the size 3/16" carriage bolt? For some reason that sticks in my head(instead of the dynamics that should be sticking for my test tomorrow night :sick:
Thanks all,
Barrett
Woodstock, Ga

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Heating up the inside to 500 or so and let it burn off should be sufficient. When the smoke clears it should be clean.

The outside can be cleaned off with some good old hot water and soap. Dawn should work well breaking down any grease on the outside.

If the grates are "disgusting" Spray them with Easy Off Oven cleaner.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks, I will try that. The band popped off while loading it into the car(backseat) and revealed even more grease, it just seemed overwhelming and it seemed like a grease agent/spray such as grease lightening may be required. I will try the hot water and dawn first, I was in aw that the grate was as in good of condition as it was.
    There is also one spot I saw when the band popped off that looked like he had tried to drill or screw a bolt directly into the ceramic, it created about a 1/4 inch hole and kind of chipped away the ceramic around it, should I fill this with JB weld to prevent further cracking?

Barrett
    Woodstock, Ga
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Those holes are in the ceramic. Don't worry about them.

You don't want any soap to get on the unglazed parts of the egg. Let the fire take care of that. If the gasket is greasy you might consider replacing the gasket at some point.

Grease Lightening would work, but dawn will have less of an impact. If you need to use something stronger look at Simple Green products. Many a cooker has been cleaned with Simple Green.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Seems like their are a lot of lemon based cleaners. Goo gone smells very lemony also. I would think a lot of these cleans could be used on the outside of the egg since it is glazed.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just adding a vote to confirm what CW said.

i'd run it at 500 or so until the heavy smoke stopped, if it's that greasy inside. you might consider letting it go much longer, until the lump is pretty exhausted and the temp starts to fall. that would be the cleanest you could get the interior. not brand new clean, but it would get whiter.

if there's a lot of gunk outside, it might be best to take the bands completely off and clean under them.

last thing i think is that to make it feel as new as possible, consider a new gasket. the job isn't a difficult one. i'd do that work AFTER the high-temp clean, of course.

i've been tempted my self to try carnauba wax on the exterior (after cleaning it), in order to restore a bit of 'wetness' or shine/depth. i wonder if it would really melt right off? hahaha
    who knows. maybe even mineral oil. pretty neutral stuff. maybe woodoggies (a ceramics conservator) has ideas for giving the glazed surface a temporary perk-up. let's see if he weighs in.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    The band bolts are 5/16" dia. x 2" long.

Mike
  • Buck i Nuts
    Options
    I am pretty new but rather "anal" about keeping my Egg looking good. (sorry fellow Eggers) I tried many degreasers, some leave a film on the outside, which comes off good with some water in a spraybottle. Believe it or not, rubbing alcohol works pretty good, goo gone, and Simple Green at full strength works for me. I was told by fellow Egger Bente that the best way to clean the daisy wheel (I'm a believer) is to scrub it with a brush, then spray cooking oil on it and let it get warm or put inside the Egg when it's warm. Maybe you just wanted cleaning on the outside...got carried away...I just love to Egg and hope I can add some meaningful help I have received from others ! Good luck, you are going to be the new favorite grandson in law ! Good luck ! :lol::);)