Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fruit tree

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a piece of a peach tree from a friend to use in my egg. I assume I need to take the bark off before I use it to smoke. Any suggestions as to the best way to get the bark off?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    No need to take off the bark unless it is covered with mold or fungi.

I use pecan limbs all the time. I use a miter saw to cut limbs into 2-3 inch sections, then split them with a maul into chunks. If the bark falls off, great, if not, then I burn it too.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you don't need to take the bark off unless it's got insects or is soft and moldy. if it's tight, it's fine.

much talk about how "bitter" bark makes smoke taste, with no real evidence other than "i guy i know told me once...".

i use shagbark hickory bark all by itself, and it is sweeter than anything i have found.

wet, punky, grubby bark, no. but tight dry bark is fine.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    this came up a couple times last week.... be sure that the fruit trees weren't sprayed with insecticides....

any tree for that matter. but fruit trees are maybe more likely to have been
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Do you have to dry the peach wood before you use it?