Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon fillets on a plank

Options
Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked salmon fillets on a plank tonight. Pretty tasty, but did not get as much flavor from flavor from the planks that I expected. Also, it tookabout 20 minutes to cook at 350. Any suggestions? I would have shared pix, but family was hungry.

Comments

• mymistress
    Options
    Hi,
    I do a lot of salmon on soaked cedar plank and I try to keep the temp between 200*/250*. I do pick up a nice flavor from the cedar when it’s fresh but I will reuse the planks about five or six times before I retire them. The plank will lose flavor with each use and I will start to add cherry wood to pick up a nice sweet flavor. I do think the planks keep the salmon moist and it’s easier to keep the thin parts of the filet from getting to dry.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04054a2.jpg

350* to 400* is a good temp..... I give the plank a few minutes to heat up before adding the salmon. I get a good char on the bottom, and can usually get 2 cooks from the plank before splitting it up for flavor wood.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the planks don't do anything to flavor the meat. not by sitting on it anyway.

the plank is an indirect barrier, keeping the fish from burning (as it would if it were sitting right on the grid). what IS supposed to burn is the plank. as it gives up the ghost, that smoke flavors the meat.

soak the plank to delay the smoke until about the last ten minutes. a little smoke is good, a lot is too much (in my opinion).

the cook time seems right. you are essentially roasting the fish after all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante