Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my $18 rib setup

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all, long time lurker, first time poster...

I know most of you use the plate setter for indirect, but I really don't want to drop the $50 on a pice of ceramic (however well made it may be) at the moment. For anyone else in the same boat as me, here's a pic of the $18 rib setup I put together last month and finally had a chance to try out.

web.jpg

I went to Home Depot (or maybe lowes? don't recall) and picked up a 14" unglazed terra cotta planter tray, and wrapped it in foil (helps with cleanup). The tray was $10, is nice and heavy, and leaves plenty of room surrounding for smoke/heat to transfer. I picked out a 6 rack rib rack that fits nicely on top of it for $8, and my setup is complete.

web.jpg

The pics are from yesterday's cider and molasses soaked ribs, taken 2 hours into a 5 hour cook @220-240. I start with a dry rub, and starting at 2 hours I spray them down every hour with a cider/molasses/mustard mixture. At the end of 5 hours they had a gooey mahogany glaze formed on them, were pink almost the whole way through, and fell right off the bone.

By the way, the same tray with 4 beer cans and four 3lb chickens @375-425 = quick and easy dinner for 16. Plenty of room.

thanks for all the advice on this board, hope my contribution helps!

Comments