Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket question: size

Options
eafo
eafo Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
wife bought a brisket for me to cook this weekend.
its a flat brisket according to the package.
but it only weighs 2.75 lbs.

that seems REALLY small to me, but its my first try at brisket so i really dont mind, as if i screw it up its a lot less $ wasted.

but less then 3lbs seems weird to me.
im just going to stick with the '2 hours per lb' theory.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Weight it -- Could be a mis-print at the store. Flats are generally bigger.

I'm not the Brisket-King.

You know about the plateau?

I do -- 275F indirect, over drip pan.
    Let it ease through the plateau, starts around 160-ish. Temp will stop rising as it converts fats to gelatin.
    Pull @ 190F - 195F. Wrap in foil, towels, stash in styrofoam cooler and let it rest for a few hours.

Others can guide you better than I.

Enjoy!

~ Broc
    :);):)
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    ive got a ton of stuff to do tommorrow, so im going to put it on early and just stick my wireless probe in it and let it do its thing at about 250-275 until it hits 190, then double foil it and toss it in a cooler for a few hours.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    My buddy's father, who used to compete and win on the brisket circuit swears that a small (under 6 lbs) brisket is "the hardest cook in the book!"

I've done a 5 lb flat and tend to agree with him. My advice, don't trim ANY fat off (fat on top during the cook) and go between 225 and 250 til you get to 165, foil it with some apple cider/juice) until it emerges from the plateau. Then unfoil until 195-200 - using the fork test to let you know when it's done.

Good luck!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Man that is small. I would grind it for burgers and get at least a 5.5 pound flat, choice grade too. Dangs things can be hard enough to cook, no sense putting yourself at a bigger disadvantage. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Grind it for hamburgers, don't waste your time.

At least have a back-up plan for dinner.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA