Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

recipe question from the fairly newbie

Options
Kaila
Kaila Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm am pretty new with my BGE. Just love it. I tried to make marinaded tri tip steak last week. A few questions:

1. should I have washed off the marinade prior to placing it on the grill? It flared up and chared the outside.

2. What is the approx temp on the BGE for tri tip or flank steak?

3. Should I have put in the plate setter and then a drip pan on top to prevent flair up and charing the outside of the steak?

What about if I were to marinate chicken? Same questions as above.

This newbie appreciates any help with this.

Kaila , Lanai City, HI

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1. No - The char is called Bark and Bark is good :)

2. 550-600 to sear (direct) 400 to roast (indirect)

3. See 2

Chicken lower the temp to 350 and no sear.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    remember that the egg (the way you are using it) is fundamentally a grill. if it's charring before the inside is done (and that means you get a lot of char), well, that means the meat is too close to the fire or the fire is too hot.

you don't want to use a platesetter if you are grilling. platesetter=roasting/baking. you want some searing, just not a lot.

there are other masters of the tri-tip here, but a couple ideas to keep in mind for any big chunk of meat:

-try splitting the cook. high heat followed by a cruising heat. sear for 30/60/90 seconds a side depending on your preferences for char and take the meat off. then shut vents and drag the dome temp to 400, putting the meat back on. you can also reverse this. roast (with or without the platesetter) at lower temps, and then spike temps to sear-level and sear (w/o platesetter of course).

-don't wash the marinade off, just blot it with paper towel. wet meat needs to evaporate the water/marinade before it'll sear. and if there's any sugar, it'll blacken.

-cook by the internal temp. there really isn't any method here that really works by time/grill-temp. we 'allow' a certain period of time for a cook, but ultimately take the meat off when it is about 10 degrees under-done internally. it'll continue to cook on the platter as it rests
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I've developed my own version of tri-tip, which basically encapsulates most of what others are doing.

Pat the meat dry.
    Rub it with olive oil.
    Put a chunk coat of dry rub on -- I use Dr BBQ's recipe on his website.
    Wrap in plastic, refrigerate overnight.

Next day, get Egg hot [650+]
    While Egg is warming up, bring meat to room temp.
    Sear all sides at 650F direct.
    Remove meat from Egg -- let it rest
    Drop Egg to 400F, set up indirect with filled drip pan. I like using apple cider.
    Roast meat to 125F internal [won't take long]

Pull meat, double wrap in HDfoil.
    Double wrap in old towels --
    Please wrapped meat in styrofoam/camping cooler
    Rest meat for up to 4 hours.

Unwrap and slice against the grain and serve immediately...

Yum!

~ Broc
    :)
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    are you cooking with the lid open?

usually flare ups are rare depending on how much air you are allowing to come into the egg

of course sugar in marinades does tend to blacken up...try using no sugar in your marinade

remember the fire triangle
    fuel air heat...take away one and the fire goes out

good luck and welcome