Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting my first BGE tomorrow morning. By the time I get it home and set up will have 3-4 hrs before dinner. What should my first cook be? I'm thinking about a whole chicken.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A good choice...

Go to the Naked Whiz site and look up spatchcock chicken.

http://nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Follow those instructions, they work well and the chicken is great.

If you feel really bold then get a disposable pan (warming pan) and cut up some spuds, onion and toss in a little italian sausage just for kicks. A little Olive Oil (EVOO) some S&P.

About 10 minutes before the chicken is done put some cheese over the vegie pan, you could do this after the cook also but you might have to use the oven to melt the cheese if it isn't fully melted.

You should use the plate setter with this full meal.

Fantastic dinner and very easy.

Let us know what you end up cooking.

GG
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Chiro,

Welcome. You're going to love the Egg.

A whole chicken is a good choice. They come out really tasty and moist on the Egg. You can really tell the difference compared to any other way of cooking them. If you add smoke, I find apple wood pairs really well with chicken.

If you're interested, I posted a whole chicken recipe in the recipe section of this site a while ago (under user name TheGrue) for Lemon Chicken with Greek Inspired Rub. I serve this often and it comes out really good.

Good luck.

-John
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    Be sure to pick up a good remote thermometer or thermapen. One of the keys to great chicken is not to overcook it. I pull mine when the breast hits 165 degrees.

Welcome to the club.

TC
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Yep an excellent choice. Beer can is good but have also been spatchcock a chicken alot and just as good. Hears a link to on I did a few weeks back. I second the thermometer and 165 internal breast temp ant the coldest point of the breast. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=448599&catid=1
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Ditto on the chicken for a first cook. Been so long, kind of brought back memories of my first cook. . . .

Believe my first cook as a single rack of Baby back ribs. No drip pan above the platesetter. Took a few pictures of that first cook and boy does it look sad seeing ONE rack of ribs on Egg-N-Tino. Bright white walls, etc...

Have fun with your new purchase/investment. You will enjoy it along with everyone else whom eats your BBQ.

Egg-N-Tino
  • Spudman
    Spudman Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this since I just joined. I got my BGE about 2 1/2 hours ago. I wanted to cook something I could eat for dinner tonight so my first cook was filets. I could not have had an easier time of it. I went by time and figured I can take my steaks in a wide range of doneness, so I didn't bother with checking the internal temp. I have prepared many steaks in the past and figured it was a good idea to start with something I knew.

I might add that before my egg got delivered I went to the butcher and bought a Boston butt, a picnic, and a beef brisket, none of which I have ever cooked before. These and ribs were what made me want an egg in the first place. I can't wait for tomorrow.