Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new, just bought my egg. Please send simple instructions for ribs. Temp, how long, rack located where, drip pan etc. I am really a newbie.

:S

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Try this
    http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/bbribs/ribs.htm

Also check out TNW's site for all kinds of advice

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Welcome and good luck. I'm doing ribs today.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    Maybe THISwill help.

Leo
    Williston, FL
  • givehim6
    givehim6 Posts: 22
    Options
    That is some great advice and I read and used this article to make my first couple of batches of ribs. A few things I've learned are

1. Perhaps my dome temp gauge is a bit off, but cooking 4 racks at 225-250 indirect doesn't require 5 hours on my large egg using the platesetter, drip pan with apple juice, and elevated extension rack. My meat was up to 150-160 after a little less than two hours. I would advice checking the meat temp at 2 hours into the cook.

2. I foil mine in honey, brown sugar, and apple juice and put them back on, meat side down, for no more than 45 minutes. I prefer the meat to have some texture and staying intact on the bone rather than being excessively moist and falling off the bone. The longer you cook in that foil the more tender it will be.

3. I finish for about 30-45 minutes over direct heat, lightly brushing with sauce (I love the Kraft honey BBQ sauce - tangy sweet). I put a dab more rub on the meat side when I take them off.

4. Let them rest for 20-30 minutes before eating.

Free advice and worth every penny.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi Alan,

Here's a link to a detailed writeup I posted recently on cooking beef ribs on the egg. Though I've had my egg for a while, this was the 1st chance I got to do ribs, and I thought they came out pretty good...

-John
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Even if you have used charcoal before, do a few cooks to get the hang of temperature control using the Egg. The main thing for ribs is to not let the temperature run away. Light it, and come back in 5 - 10 minutes. You'll probably find the dome edging towards 200. Start shutting vents when above 200. My last adjustment is when the Egg reaches 240. I then close the bottom to about 1/8 inch, and have the daisy holes open just a crack. The temperature usually settles into 250 +- 5.

I usually have a drip pan on the lower (standard) grate, and the ribs laying on an upper (extended) grate. I put the pan and upper grate on maybe five minutes after the temp reaches 250. Then, once the smoke gets to the blue wisp stage, the ribs go on.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Be sure to keep some kind of liquid in your drip pan (adding as necessary). Otherwise, the drippings will burn & smoke, rendering your cook unfit for 'coons while having you dialing for pizza! Good luck!! 8 - )
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I think ribs are the most fun to cook and the easiest. I have been using a rub called butt rub and everyone likes it on the ribs. A temperature of 250 is always good.
    The two sites listed by flapoolman are great. I think for starting out you want to cook indirect by using a place setter and drip pan or spider and stone with a drip pan.
    I do like all the recipes in the Dr BQQ books if you are looking for a book on BBQ. But everything is pretty much on the net.
    Here is one of my favoite sites for ribs.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html.
    This is the site I fall back on when I am wondering about something.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I have never had to put juice in my drip pan. I foil my pan and than hold my heat at 240 and the grease does not seem to burn. If the temperature gets away that is another story.
  • Rascal
    Options
    Yea, it's insurance should your fire get out of control, and I think, adds a bit of flavor if using apple juice/cider or beer. It's a method I prefer and have come to enjoy. Funny how some come down on a post if they don't 100% agree with it, almost as if latitude is frowned upon... Good grief, if so, that makes for a very "lean" forum.
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    Nothing wrong with personal preference or personal experience. I didn't take Mahi-Mahi's post as coming down on any other posts.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you use a drip pan, placed under the cook (which is how the Egg works) the cooking temperature will not rise above 212 as this is the boiling temp. Myself, I do not agree with this, but was wondering if any of you have heard of this?

I use a drip pan with sliced up Apples and sweet Onions, all swinning in apple juice.

Egg-N-Tino

P.S. Either way comes out just fine.
  • Rascal
    Options
    8-)!! Funny, what ever makes your watch go tick-tock!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    False Info. Thats the liquid temp but grill can be TREX temps. With ribs I'll go back and forth between liquid or naked without much difference other than a few min. longer on the cook. I like it both ways. Have 1 rack on right now with 14" drip pan in the bottom of the spider and the ribs raised. Same thing with foil or not. I do them both ways but my goal is ribs without foil that are as good as CWM's look. I havent got there yet but have had some great meals trying.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You'll get as many rib recommendations as there are Eggers, all of them good. Here's mine:

* Strip membrane off of back of ribs
    * Trim off loose meat and collections of fat
    * Spread yellow mustard over front and back of slabs
    * Coat with John Henry's Pecan Rub
    * Let rest several hours in the 'fridge

* Set up for an indirect cook with plate setter, drip pan and a block or two of cherry wood for smoke
    * Cook at 250* dome temp for 3-1/2 hours
    * Wrap in foil for 45 minutes, also at 250*
    * Unwrap and cook another 45 minutes at 250*, saucing with Sweet Baby Ray's Original the last 20 minutes or so

DSC01061.jpg
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Hi Alan:

Welcome to the club! Ribs are fun to do. I created a full video on how we do Ribs here. Even though I use a BBQ Guru to assist with the heat control, the rest of the video will provide great tips on preparation and cooking. There is even a small segment on eating!

Here is the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/928412

The video is in Hi definition and you might have to let your buffer fill up a little if it stops on you, but worth the wait.

Uncle Phil