Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After brining a brisket for 8 days I have it on the egg chugging at a steady 200 giving its all.
Cross your fingers, if it comes out half as good as the picture in the book I will be living large in a few hours.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Basselope , well? Inquiring minds want to know. How did it turn out?

• Basselope
    Options
    Disapointing I think describes it.
    The problems were several
    first off I used a whole cryovac brisket. When I cut it last night I discovered a huge vein of fat right through the point section.
    Secondly I think I brimed it too long. The book said 6-8 days and I went the full eight. This is one salty piece of meat. Its almost like eating the dried beef that you can buy in the jar at the supermarket.
    Lastly the instructions said to cook to an internal of 160-165. I pulled it off at 166 and the meat is tough. Very, very juicy but tough.
    I am thinking that if I do another one I will use just a flat or two, brime for the min time or perhaps a few hours less, and cook to an internal of 180-185.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on improvements?

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Basselope,
    I have a 5lb flat in the freezer for the weekend.
    Why do you brine it?

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Basselope,
    This is one I've been meaning to try. You can be the guinea pig if you'd like. Randy is known to come up with some awsome recipes.
    Painter

[ul][li]Randys Site[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    dublin,
    If I remember the threads from a few months back the process is some like this (very brief):[p]Cow provides tasty brisket.
    Person A cooks tasty brisket and is happy.
    Person B brines brisket and then boils it. This is where corned beef comes from.
    Person C brines the brisket and then smokes it. This is where pastrami comes from.

• Basselope
    Options
    Right I was trying to be person C. I love pastrami sandwiches.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Basselope, all the pastrami I've ever had was sliced very thin. So thin that I don't think you could tell if it was tough or not. How thin did you slice it?

• Basselope
    Options
    Wise One,
    Any thinner you could have read the morning paper through it. As thin as I can set my slicer. stack about 3 or 4 slices on bread and almost can't eat it. It's tough.
    When you order pastrami in a deli it comes out sliced may 1/8" or so and it just falls apart with your teeth that is what I was going for.
    Oh well maybe next time.
    Anybody got a clue what I can use about 6 lbs of VERY salty beef for?
    or should I just break out the bungee cord?

• Unknown
    Options
    Basselope ,

The best pastrami I ever made was by accident! Instead of buying a plain brisket I bought a corned beef brisket. Put some BGE seasoning plus extra black pepper and brown sugar on to 190 degrees and it came out just like pastrami.[p]Always rememeber to cut it reaaaaal thin and against the grain.[p]Good luck.