Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brine

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess Im gonna go with the recomendation of brining in 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup maple syrup. Overnight? Im gonna try to find some apple wood to use instead of hickory. Cook to 160 internal and let stand for 30. Let me know if Im all wrong. It will be probably Thursday when I do it and I will go for my first pics on here for all to see. Thanks guys!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    How much liquid??

Many standard brines are 1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon of water, I lean toward 3/4 cup salt to 1 gallon. Any less and you are not really brining.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I will do with 3/4 if thats what you recommend.Kosher or iodized? What about the syrup. Do you go with more with more water i guess.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is the deal with salt....I guess I should pay attention to my own advice and not list amounts in fractions or full "cups". You need to go by weight.

Grain size will vary between brands. I happen to use Morton’s kosher salt and 6 ounces is approximately 3/4 cup (or 12 tablespoons). I think Diamond kosher is larger grain and of course something like canning salt is like table salt and very fine. Use weight and you will be more accurate.

Lastly, don't use iodized salt.

Once you get the concentration 6oz to 1 gallon, you can add about anything else you want. Sugar or syrup is popular to knock the edge off the salt in there. Pepper, garlic cloves, onion slices, lemon or even some beer is popular in brines.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery