Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

-DELETED-

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
-DELETED-

th_P5310168.jpg

-DELETED-
th_P5310174.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Just a guess, but could it be the burning of the "build up" coating the inside of the egg/dome?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is wicked.

Nice capture.
  • stike
    Options
    no. it really was the 'newness' of the added lump.

even at low temps, a lot of new lump will cause a perpetual series of flashbacks until the dust is consumed.

the flashback came out under the lid and the top vent like usual, but when i shut the lid, instead of going out, it kept burning out the top.
  • stike
    Options
    funny thing was i had the chiminea going ten feet away, and a neighbor from two houses down could see it from his back yard. he was all "um, so.. ahhh. hey. everything under control over there?"

towers of flame, looked like cleveland
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Dude,that was awesome.Good thing you got a clip of it.I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it :woohoo: ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    cool......flames....good stuff .........nice videos......pics of the paella next????
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Man.How much lump did you put in there?I would guess nine pounds worth.I did that a couple of times and the dome seemed like it was going to take off when I opened it.It scared the s--t out of me.Sounded like ( I can't really describe it} sorta like a small explosion.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Looks like what I got when I did my 1,000-degree cleaning burn a few weeks back. There were moments in that burn that I had moments of fear of the Egg...it was huffing and puffing like a steel foundry.
  • stike
    Options
    actually. yeah.
    this was the best ever. was a practice for (if ) i can cook at the eggfest. got a video of the soccorat crackling away, too. never really had a nice carmelized layer of the rice form before til last night.

pics tomorrow though. i happen to be working today (hence, near the computer), but if i get done early, it's a nice enough day for solo gin-n-tonics. wife took the kids to a cookout and might not be back til late. i'm solo for dinner. so i'm trying to get my work done pronto
  • stike
    Options
    i'm sure you've had the nuclear blue flame shoot straight up, right? this stuff was weird though. very lazy. flopping around, and not burning very hot (red and yellow, lots of carbon like a candle flame).

was very surreal
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    How much sleep have you been getting lately?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that even on a sunny day. My plate setter was a mess and I'm sure it was burning the VOCs off as it hit the 21% oxygen at the chimney's mouth. What was left of my gasket went up in smoke, too.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    That is a cool looking video. Coulda opened the lower vent, given it a little more air and had your own jet engine.
  • stike
    Options
    bottom was wide open.... airflow was compromised from the newly added giant pile of lump on top. was pretty cool
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Stike...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....you sure it was only ONE gin & tonic???????????????........ :laugh: :laugh: ........amazing!!!!!!!!!!
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    OK so I'm late on seeing this but it reminded me of the following
    I have an airwashed multifuel (indoor) stove that I mostly burn wood in but sometimes end up using coal.
    In the past I have dumped a large amount of coal on top of the fire, opened the vents to stop it suffocating itself and gone off to do something only to come back five minutes later to find a raging inferno (and kick myself for doing it).
    When I turn down the vents I end up with a strange lazy flame burning part way down the glass that leaves a strange mark. I guess it's the gasses driven off burning away in the absence of much air or draught.