Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket morning - question about BBQ Guru

Options
kingfish
kingfish Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning, eggers,

First, can I tell you how much I LOVE this BBQ Guru?

This is just my third overnight cook with it, but the first one that I've finally had complete faith in it to go to bed and let it do it's thing. (I know, I know, I've read all the praises, it just took me a little while.)

I went to bed just before midnight with an 8-lb brisket on the LGE and the temp set at 230. Woke about 5:30 and the temp is 230. Brisket now (8:15) is 172, and egg still at 230. Love it!

So anyway, my question - do you Guru users recommend the ramp mode? Or just let it go till done.

I'm figuring this should be done around 11:00, and I'll wrap it in foil and towels, pour some beef broth over it, stick it in a small cooler, and eat it about 4pm.)

I figure it should still be warm by then, right?

Also - if you'd like to read a brisket poem by our bbq team chief, see http://freetheboys.blogspot.com. ('Twas the Night Before Brisket) He's anxious for me to bring this brisket over to his house today.

Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I'm sure there are differing opinions on the ramp mode...the only time I use it is if I'm going to bed and expect the meat to get done in the middle of the night, don't wanna get up and tend to it..then ramp mode 'stretches' the cook several hours so when I get up the meat isnt overcooked..it's a great option!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have to agree with Eggtucky. If you aren't going to be available when the meat is done or you are facing a long cooler time (> 4 hours) kick on the ramp mode. If you are going to be around keep on cookin'..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If your pit temp is set close the food temp, I don't use the ramp mode. It just extends the cook time.

If pit temp is set a lot higher than food temp I will most of the time use the ramp mode. Or, if I might be leaving for a period of time I will set the ramp mode on just in case I am unable to get back to the egg as planned.

However, lately if I have a high pit temp and low food temp I don't use the guru at all. I use a dual probe remote thermometer. The egg is more than capable of holding the cook temp. All I need to know is when the food is done.

GG