Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Leg Quarters: Simple recipe

Options
Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm lazy. I got some chicken leg quarters for my 2nd ever cook on my BGE and thought it would be a snap to find a somewhat basic, simple recipe. Been through several sources and I'm coming up mostly blank. In my laziness, I'm turning to the forum.

Don't want exotic spices and sauces or overnight marinades. Something basic with a few herbs and spices, maybe some citrus juice and/or olive oil. Then how do I cook them (skin on)? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try Itaalian Salad Dressing for marinade and indirect 350F 45 minutes or so.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm doing them tonight, I seasoned them earlier and put them in the fridge. I'll set up 350 dome, indirect with a drip pan on the main grid, and use the grid extender to get them higher in the dome. That way I don't have to turn them and they crisp better. When I'm ready to put them on, I'll shake them in a bag with some flour and cornstarch. Shake off the excess and put them on and let them go to 195 internal, it will take an hour and a half. After the first hour, I'll move them around according to how done they are. Here's some thighs. -RP
    IMG_0928Small-2.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i think the times are off for this one but here you go::

Chicken, Drumsticks, Hot Legs W/Spicy-Ranch Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs chicken drumettes
    1 packet hot taco seasoning
    3 Tbs canola oil
    2 Tbs red wine vinegar
    2 tsp hot pepper sauce, divided (recommended: Tabasco)
    1 cup ranch salad dressing
    Celery sticks

Procedure:
    1 In a large bowl, combine taco seasoning, canola oil, red wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Add drumettes and toss to combine.
    2 In a small bowl, combine ranch dressing and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Set aside.
    3 Preheat grill. Grill drumettes for about 10 to 15 minutes total, turning occasionally. Serve with spicy ranch dressing and celery sticks.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Poultry, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Sandra Lee

Source: Food Network, Sandra Lee, 07/29/07

Episode#: SH0411

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    the simple recipe I use is a little salt and pepper and a sprinkle of greek seasoning. I get my finger under the skin so the meat is seasoned and i do this several hours before and refrigerate. I set the grill up with the extended grid and I cook direct, skin side down to 185-190 when they get close to temp I flip them, this is only for the last 10 to 15 min. At that point the skin is golden crisp and the meat has pulled back on the leg. chicken comes out with alight flavor , good luck
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Thanks, all! I went pretty close to AZRP's suggestion. Used my plate setter to go indirect, but I don't (yet) have a grill extender (definitely gotta get me one of those!) so I put a drip pan on the PS and put the quarters on the grill above. I seasoned them with S&P and some BBQ rub. My wife is on a gluten-free diet, so I shook the parts with "wheatless wonder" - which is made from rice and is about the consistency of crunchy bread crumbs. Gotta say, I like the stuff. I added some more BBQ rub and S&P to the stuff before I did the shake. Went to 350 (I'm so impressed at how easy that is!) then put on the chicken. Left it alone for an hour (other than regulating to 350, which ain't hard!) then I turned the parts. Was a little concerned that, w/o the grill extender putting them higher in the dome, maybe I needed more heat, so I adjusted to 370 for the last half hour.

The result was kind of like oven-fried chicken, but BETTER! The chicken was perfectly cooked and still oh so moist. Skin and coating was crunchy-crisp. I'm liking this Egg stuff!!

My next cook might just have to be spare ribs. Wish me luck!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Cool, Mine was pretty good tonight too. Kim made a veggie mix with corn, asparagus, potatoes, black beans, and spinach, seconds were in order. -RP
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    Options
    Keep up the good work
    looks great