Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cabbage bowl recipe needed.

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,
I can't find my recipe for making cabbage bowls in the egg. It had sausage, bacon,onion and other stuff into a hollowed out cabbage. "She who must be obeyed" says I must make it for her. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
Big'un

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Might this be it??

Cabbage, Stuffed, YB

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Large head of cabbage
    1/2 apple, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    3/4 lb of your favorite ground sausage
    4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
    1 tsp fresh Basil
    1 tsp fresh Rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste

Procedure:
    1 Core cabbage, making a hole about the size of your fist. Brown sausage with other ingredients. Stuff cabbage with sausage mixture.
    2 Wrap cabbage in foil, leaving top open. Place on Egg - cook at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Place 2 pats of butter on top of sausage stuffing and close foil, completely covering cabbage. Cook for another 2 hours. Remove cabbage from foil, quarter & serve.
    3 What a treat! Our sides included fried squash and baked red potatoes with cheese & garlic topping.
    4 Larry

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, YB, 2002/06/02
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01815a.jpg

I do one, but it does not have meat. The cored area is filled with seasonings, butter, maybe some chicken or beef stock....... petty much whatever you like and you cook it for 2 or 3 hours indirect, wrapped in foil, but the top open. Then later I close the top, adding some more liquid and sort of braise it for an hour.

DSC01818a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Ever have any thoughts for a tomato based sauce to spoon over top of it or any other other type of topping? This would be after it was plated like gravy on mashed taters.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I'm sure it's way too late, but cabbage is my friend.
    My favorite spaghetti sause/topping courtesy of my sainted Mom.
    IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    Dang, now THAT is looking awesome, Lawn Ranger. Have you posted the sacred recipe for the sauce here?
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Here is Paula Dean's recipe. Haven't tried it, but anything that uses bacon grease has to be good.

Slick

5 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium green cabbage
    1/4 cup barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Add bacon and onion to skillet and cook until just beginning to brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Drain bacon and onion in a strainer over a bowl and reserve the drippings.
    Crumble a piece of aluminum foil into a ring about 3-inches in diameter.

Cut the core out of the cabbage about 3-inches down towards the center and in a circle about 3-inches in diameter.

Add the bacon and onion mixture to the barbecue sauce. Prop the cabbage upright on the aluminum foil ring (cavity facing upright). Spoon some of the reserved bacon drippings into the cavity. Place the bacon and onion mixture into the cavity along with the butter. Brush the outside of the cabbage with the remaining reserved bacon drippings and season the cabbage with House Seasoning. Have the grill set to medium heat and place aluminum foil ring and cabbage on top of grill.

Cover and grill the cabbage until tender. When it's done it will be easy to pierce with skewer, roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

To serve, peel off any of the charred outer leaves and discard. Cut the cabbage into wedges and serve.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Thanks to all who offered advice and recipes. As I remember it had bbq sauce, sausage, bacon, onions, and... But yall gave me a good start to recreate. Thanks again.