Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe max temp for putting the cover on the Egg

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some ribeyes tonight and had the Egg close to the nuclear range. Needless to say, it was going to take a while for it to cool down. Well, a thunderstorm was moving in and I didn't want to expose the table to the rain. The thermometer was still in the 250 range when I put the BGE cover on.

Does anybody have any idea what the heat tolerance is on the BGE cover?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    No,,,,, but I hope you post in the morning to give us the 250 dome test results. :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I generally wait until the needle drops below 200 to slip the cover on, myself. I'd rather the Egg get a little wet than come out and find my cover melted to the dome....ugh.

Some storm we're getting, isn't it?
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I just went out to check and the cover's all in tact. The rain may have cooled everything down. But Jeffersonion, you're right, we got some BIG TIME rain here tonight. It's nice we got a Card's win in (barely) before it all cut loose. We dodged the hail and anything else too severe - hope you did too.

Later!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My Eggs live outside in all weather -- heat, rain, ice and snow. They love it... They're like happy nudists, uncovered and all...

;) :ohmy: ;)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Remove the cast iron damper assembly and place on the ceramic cap and know the flashpoint of the materials you are exposing. I've been waiting for 200 on the dial or lower personally but the cool cap helps hold some of the material away. I usually spray some windex on my egg to wipe it down first too.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    We had 3" in our rain gauge this morning, and I just read that we're 12.5" of rain over our average for this time of year. Got a little bit of hail, about marble-sized, in the last wave of storms around 1:00 am. We had taken our un-garaged cars up to West County Mall to park them under cover...better safe than sorry.

Franklin darn near gave it up, but at least we didn't have a meltdown like the %&#!#()% Rockies did...how the hell do you blow an 8-run lead?!?!?!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I wait until I can hold my hand on the dome comfortably. If it's still hot when it starts to rain I bring the cover indoors so IT doesn't get wet and let the egg fend for itself. Same thing when it is too dark so see what I'm doing.

After the reports I've seen here of mold and other nasty stuff growing in the eggs I'm starting to wonder if a cover is such a good idea after all.

--Doug