Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done too soon

Options
bobbyb
bobbyb Posts: 1,349
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a packer brisket that will be done soon and won't be ready to serve for 6-7 hours. I have a feeling that long in the cooler is not a good idea. Any advice on what to do here? Cool and reheat?
Thanks,

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would cool and reheat.. not sure how to do that with brisket but keeping it in the cooler for that long could make a couple people :sick:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you triple wrap it in foil, then lay a towel on the bottom of the cooler, then the brisket, then another towel, it should be fine. If using a plastic cooler you could even preheat the cooler with boiling water first, soak up the boiling water with the first towel.

I just did a test on a butt Monday and it held at 157 at the coolest spot after 6 hours in a cooler with no towels and a styrofoam OmahaSteaks cooler.

If you are at all concerned you can always cool and re-heat it, just don't slice it until ready to serve.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    If you wrapped it in foil and blankets, and one of those blankets was an electric blanket? I think the danger zone starts below 140F.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Why not wrap in foil and put in oven on warm until ready to serve?
  • bobbyb
    Options
    Guys, appreciate all your input. Turns out I freaked out over nothing. I didn't realize when I went out to check it this morning the brisket had just entered its plateau. It got done with exactly 3 hours left for cooler time.... what I was planning on. I did incorporate the idea of a boiling water rinse as well as one I found on the VWB site. I heated 4 fire bricks up to 500 and sandwiched these between some layers of towels in the cooler.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    Bob,

Hope your daughter enjoys the brisket. Pete and I missed you at lunch. See you soon!

Terry

Gulfport, MS
  • bobbyb
    Options
    Terry,
    Hope I can meet up with you guys next week. The brisket turned out great. That trick of putting some heated bricks in the cooler really worked well. After 3 hours, the inside of the cooler was piping hot. Think I could have gone for six hours no problem.