Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alton Brown on Pulled Pord

Pyro
Pyro Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Alton Brown's show on The Food Network tonight he presented his ideas on making pulled pork - http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23019,00.html

Other than his usual inventiveness at creating unusual cooking implements, this time a ceramic pot, hot plate and another pot as a lid, the thing that he did that struck me was brining the butt in a mixture of molasses, pickling salt and water. The reviews of the recipe on The Food Network site were very positive. Has anyone on this board tried this method of brining, and if so, what were the results?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have not tried the recipe, but did do some basic research on the ceramic flower pot thing. Googling it will provide many results.
    Anyway, what I learned is that most hot plates will mallfunction during the cook. They typlically contain alot of plastic parts, etc and simply get to hot since they are basically being baked. One would want to use a very high end unit to do this.

Ron
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Missed that eppisode but have brined a butt before. Turned out great!!!! Actually gonna do one this weekend. Put her in the brine tonight and then smoke her all night saturday, got folks coming over sunday for lunch!! I used all he had in his PLUS frexh Thyme, Oragano and Parsley to boot
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    I went to a BBQ last weekend and the person did Alton's Hot plate method in a cheapo metal smoker. It actually worked and tasted pretty darn good. He used Alton's rub and brine also.....I thought it made it a tad too salty.It was fun. I didn't think about the hot plate actually getting baked though...that's kinda scary.