Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

MINI Question

edited 9:00AM in EggHead Forum
I have just gotten a brand new mini to go with the other eggs. The question is; is there a daisy wheel or combination top for it?Will the top for the small work? I have been told by the dealer that the metal grid for the small will work in the mini. So maybe the top(for the small) will aso work in the mini.


  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Tim H.,[p]I use the daisy wheel top for the small with extra felt to help give a better fit. Works great![p]Smokey
  • Gator1Gator1 Posts: 37
    Tim H.,
    BGE does not make a daisy wheel specifically for the mini. Smokey's suggestion sounds great and I may try it. In any case, I have no problems maintaining temps anywhere above 300 with just the bottom vent. You can also use the old fashioned method with the ceramic top at an angle, but be very careful you don't drop it. Had an awesome T-bone on my mini yesterday! The mini is the BEST for a quick steak!

  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    <p />Tim H.,
    Here is a picture of the sliding top I made for the mini.I also made a daisy wheel just like the sliding one.

  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    Tim H.,
    When I bought my Mini recently the dealer included a daisy wheel for a small. I don't use if because I feel that it is just too large for the Mini - I'm saving it for when I get a small. Carl T posted a photo in the archives of a slider top he made from a 2.5 inch heavy wall pipe nut (which is a pipe union nut) that looks like it would work great, but I have found that you have to buy the entire pipe union and they are a bit pricey - almost $30 at our local plumbing supply. So, I am looking for other ideas.

  • FoxeyFoxey Posts: 6
    I too found the same here. Ended up with a threaded reducer. I think that's what it's called. At least it has threads on the outer circumance sp? and an inner hole opening. Just drill & tap a hole on the side for your cover plate.

  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    Can you post a photo so I can see what it looks like?

  • FoxeyFoxey Posts: 6
    Sorry, no photo available. Your pipe man can help. Just be sure it will sit on the top of the egg. It's a ruducer used in reducing the pipe size down to a smaller threaded pipe. Cost me $6.95 + tax.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.