Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs...help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some beef short ribs, but here's the catch, they are korean cut so the resemble a thick piece of bacon. They look really good but I have no idea on how to cook these, set-up, tempatures etc. So....I was wondering if anyone has any experience or idea's.
Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try them korean style.

Beef, Ribs, Bulgoki, Kalbi, Oriental, Korean, Short Ribs

Korean style beef short ribs are normally grilled, but I put these on indirect at 250°F (grid) for 2.5 hours until the 'wiggle test' proved they were done and finished them with a glaze at 425°F for about 20 minutes.Granted, they are not authentic, but the ribs came out tender and moist with that distinctive Korean flavoring of sesame, garlic and green onion with just a bit of heat. The addition of honey to the glaze brought all the flavors together.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs Beef short ribs that were cut 1/2 to 3/4" thick were marinated overnight.
    Marinade
    1/2 cup soy
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    1/4 cup water
    4 Tbs finely chopped green onion
    2 tsp finely minced garlic
    1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
    2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 Tbs sugar
    1 tsp dark (Asian) sesame seed oil
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    2 Tbs toasted, crushed sesame seeds
    Jack Daniels wood chips
    Glaze
    Strain the marinade and reduce to 1/3 the original volume. Add
    2 Tbs finely chopped green onion
    1-2 Tbs. Honey (to taste)
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    a few drops of dark sesame oil

Procedure:
    1 Warm and stir to dissolve the honey and mix ingredients. No need to cook this mixture. Baste the ribs and return them to the Egg at 425°F, still setup for indirect cooking. Baste and turn frequently until the glaze has thickened a little, about 20 minutes for this cook.
    2 White rice, kim chee and cold beer compliment these very well.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, DobieDad, 2007/01/15

orient