Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken question

Options
Snuffy
Snuffy Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm still a very new egger and I'm having a small problem. My wife loves chicken and I plan on cooking it tomorrow. I'm torn between a spatchcock chicken and a drunk chicken.Some of you have a really nice dark golden brown bark on your chicken mine never seems to get that color. Its still great but not that golden brown color I want. Which ever I decide I plan on cooking it raised direct at 300 dome till the breast reaches 160 to 170. Any sugestions on how I can get that nice color bark on my bird??? For rub I may try a mixture of Willinghams and Dizzy dust any other sugestions???

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I would do spatchcock and do it at 350-375 raised grid, direct. About to put on some chicken thighs tonight as we speak.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I prefer Spatchcock over drunken chicken, but I still love drunken chicken too.

What I do is prior to adding your spices to the chicken is to add olive oil over the bird. This gives it the color you probably are looking for.

When I cook my Spatchcock chicken, I do it on a raised grid, skin side down for about 15 minutes. This will also help to darken it up. Then I flip the bird, skin side up, direct on a raised grid for the remainder of the cook.

Also, I usually cook my chicken between 375-400 degrees to crisp up the skin. However, this is my method and everyone has their own method and will be chiming in here.

Hope this works for you and send pictures of your bird which ever way you choose to cook it.

Have a great day.

As you could tell in this pic, I had a hot spot:

260982756.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    One thing you might want to try is go with thighs, legs, or quarters and cook indirect on a raised grid with a drip pan. Season them any way you like, and have the dome temp at 350. Technically they are done at 170 internal, but take them to 195-200, it'll take about 90 minutes. This will give you good skin and fall off the bone tender chicken. You can also shake them in some flour for a little more crispness. -RP
    IMG_0962Small-1.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I also rub with evoo before I put the rub on.Try pecan chips or chunks.They add great flavor and color ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    my first chicken on the egg with a little poultry seasoning.
    started at 425° just like in the oven and reduced to 350° till finished

chicken.jpg

pretty much tthe same, roasted at 350° with a higher temp start of finish. no liqiud in the drip pan

thighs024.jpg

azrps's "the chicken" with out the sauce part at the finish. this is our favorite

mini047.jpg

mini051.jpg

mini052.jpg

mini054.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Cherry wood gives a great color to poultry, in addition to the other tips you have received here.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    For a different approach put a spatchcock chicken (or two or three) on at 200-225F indirect. This will take 5-6 hours to cook depending on the size of the bird but it's sooo good.

I use this approach from Grate Grill Deli. It's my method of choice when I have the time.

http://www.grategrillsonline.com/Recipes/BBQChicken.html

Take note of their recipe for Bourbon BBQ Sauce. It's a big hit with my wife.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Thanks for covering the toes! :laugh: -RP
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    Use some hardwood on your fire. The greener the better. I really don't care what kind it is, oak, ash, bradford pear, river birch, pecan, peach, cherry, apple, it doesn't really matter a lot. That will give the color you are looking for. Also, before you take it off, open the top of the egg for a bit and it will let some of the moisture out of the egg at the end of the cook. This will give a crispier skin to go along with the nice golden brown color. I do mine on a 24 oz bud can and about a 5 pound chicken, direct. They turn out perfect everytime. I do about a 450 temp to start for about 10 - 15 minutes and then turn down to about 350 until about 190. They are falling off the bone and somebody usually loses a limb getting the can out of the carcass....I use a rub I make myself. Use what ever dry spices you like. Salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder, garlic powder or salt, adobo, etc...Mix it up good and apply liberally.