Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest pork cook ever?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had two 7 pound butts on for 18 hours at 230 and I'm still not at 170 internal yet. Sheesh! I got hungre folks here!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Double check at least 1 thermometer but butts can be different. I try to keep dome at least 250
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    230 is pretty low. i bet your grate temp is barely 200.

there's no real benefit to going below 250 unless you are timing the cook (say, dragging it out so that you don't need to get up at 3 am to put it on). bump the thing to 250/275 if you want to hurry it up a bit.

when it hits 180 or so, you can even go to 300. that's still fairly low...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I just did 4 roughly 8 pounders last night. One came off after about 15 hours the others took 18 hours or more to cook. Grate temp was 225.
  • stike
    Options
    sounds about right. grate at 225 is dome 250 or so. at 250 dome i spend about 2 hours a pound. at 225 dome (back when i did them that low) it was around 2.5 hours a pound.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    IMHO going lower than 250 is for bragging rights more than results. The only obkjective of lo-n-slo is to not blow by the 160 internal meat temp so fast that the connnective tissue gets tough instead of turning to liquid. When you get to the plateau temp (around 160) it holds there, because all the energy (heat) is going to convert the connective tissues to liquid, once it starts to rise, you can kick up the temp if you need to.
  • stike
    Options
    there is a decent reason for going lower, and that's lengthening the cook for nothing more than convenience (or timing when it'd be done). i don't rest in a cooler, and so when i have done smaller butts that require less time, i used to start them at 11pm or so at 225 overnight. i'd get up in the morning and bump it back up to 250, and pull it off in the afternoon.

the alternative was to put it on at say 2 or 3am, or to pull it off sooner and put it in a cooler to stay warm.

kinda like how some folks drive slower on sundays so they can take in the view. i soft-pedalled it.

i guess you could say that going lower might (MIGHT) help with the smoke ring, but i don't know how much longer it allows it to form.