Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahem...paging JLOCKHART29

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey man,

That tuna you did really got me wanting to do some, especially after I paid an arm and a leg at a restaurant this past week during lunch just so I could see what theirs tasted like. Anyway, got a nice ahi tuna steak in the fridge that I need to get marinating. Bought some nice fresh ginger and some green onions to go with the marinade and finishing sauces.

How long did you marinate your ahi steaks? I'll have the recipe I used up shortly, along with the pics.

Thanks!

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Mike, Probaby to late now as forum was messed up earley (19:00ish) and then we lost a reactor agutator seal which took care of the rest of my night at work. Just got home and say this. Not sure if it was me who did the tuna you were talking about.

I did some tuna stake for sushie but no marinate
    AFOODMIDAPRIL114.jpg

I did some tuna straight on the grill with salt and pepper
    LastwkFEB08022.jpg

And Ive done tuna on ceder plank with a basolmic vinigar,Basil and sugar marinade that my wife makes drizzled over the fish as it cooked (couldn't find a pic of that) but to my knowledge have never marinaded/soaked tuna in anything. That said I don't think I would soak it more than 30 min tops. Fish is a delecate meat and easy to over power. End up with a produce that is overcame with your spice.IMO
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Know what you mean about work...I'm up right now to help with some quarterly web site maintenance for manufacturing going on right now.

Yes...your seafood fest was what brought about my little tuna adventure last week. I ordered some up at lunch last week, just to see how they did theirs, and I ended up picking up nice sushi-grade yellow fin and cooking it last night. Still some left in the fridge. The steaks are a lot bigger than I thought, and I enjoyed the ribeyes with the kids after everything was cooked. The tuna recipe needs a bit more tweaking, but I think the secret is really in the sauce you serve it with, or maybe more with the supporting cast of the rest of the meal.

Thanks for the reply--your meal was the one that got me going on this.