Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Cooking Grid for L BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a brisket and one or two pork sh. as well. I have never needed the raised cooking grate until now. I know i could figure it out by trial/error, but wanted to see if somebody has created a link/pictures.

How high?
What parts?
same size grate as the lower?

etc.

Thanks......

Tex

Comments

• Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    Can help much with the sizes, but one thing I like to do is trim the brisket flat as lean as I can, and put the Pork on the top grill. MMMM pork fat mmmmmmm.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    everything you need for rack and stack cooking can be found right here. .. .

http://www.eggaccessories.com/
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    heres how ive done it in the past, i use an adjustable grill and spider from the company that max posted nowadays, much easier. this cook was 2 levels of brisket and a third of butts with a collapsable raised grill on top and firebricks for the first levels. dont do three levels like ive shown, this was a difficult cook, 2 levels is easy. i dont use a platesetter, a pizza stone under this whole setup is plenty and gives you more space vertically

2005010904.jpg

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This site has how to build a raised grid as well as anything else you could want to know about Egging. -RP
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#gridextender
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Daaaang, I have never seen so much piled up in an egg.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Daaaang, I have never seen so much piled up in an egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Personally I use the eggaccessories adjustable rig and spider which is a great solution.

Some folks have taken a second grid and used bolts and washers to make a home made raised grid.

As in one ofthe pictures above you could use firebricks and a second grid. Your dealer most likely had BGE raised grid. After getting the adjustable rig I don't think I have used my BGE raised grid though.

Using bolts, nuts and wide washers consist of putting 4 bolt sets on a second grid. One set would consist of:

Wide washer on top of grid, then bold (of length desired) through washer and grid, second washer and tightning nut. The space for the next nut will be determined by the height desired. Now a second nut. If the nut is wide enough then you could end here. If the nut is not wide enough you would need another wide washer and securing nut. This set up will allow the placement and removal of the raised grid.

Or, you could put the nut, wide washer through the grid followed by another washer and nut. This would give a 'one' piece grid and raised grid.

If the nuts are wide enough not to pass through the grid or allow slippage through the grid it is possible no washers would be need.

Some people have used Stainless Steel bolts, washers and nuts, other has just used what is available at the store at the time.

Use what you feel is safe.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You better go back and edit that first sentence or you'll make Tom nervous. :woohoo: -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ooooops!

Thanks, Kent