Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well the first cook WAS

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just ok. 3 baby backs indirect for 3 hours and 1 hour direct. I was going for a dry rib, WELL I got a dry rib. They were good,just not what I thought they would be. I'm sure the cookers fault :0) I,ve smoked meats for years and got use to cooking a certain way and this is totaly different. I still have some learning to do with the green egg. I guess as long as the wife says its good then Its good enough,but I,m the kind of person that good is NEVER good enough.
Happy cooking!![p]Scott--Jonesboro,AR.

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    smokeapig,[p]Cooking with ceramics is a bit different and it does require a couple of cooks under the belt to get the hang of it. I'm sure you'll take your cooking experience and adapt it to this ceramic gem. How'd you do with temperature control?[p]Puj
  • Unknown
    Options
    Puj,
    Temp was not to bad once I got it where I wanted it. It seemed to burn great and the smell of cherry and hickory mixed was great. I think I just messe dup on the cooking time,but like I said, if the little lady is pleased, then im ok with it. I just think I could have done better,but hey its my first time. I'll keep on trying.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    smokeapig,
    I think that you started out with a pretty challenging first meal on your new BGE. My first attempt was smoked pork chops and while they were very good, there was room for improvement. I am amazed at how a mediocre job on the BGE can still be very good, and a good job on the BGE can't be beat anywhere else! I have had mine for three weeks now and my first attempt at ribs will be on July 4th. I'm going to do two large slabs and one half slab of spare ribs - over 20 lbs in all - and most of my family will be here to sample the results. I have used my egg almost every night since getting it, so I have had some practice. And, I have read everything on the forum I can find on how to do ribs, so I should be pretty well prepared. As long as they are smacking their lips, I will be satisfied.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    smokeapig,
    Personally, I think 4 hours of heat on the ribs was too much. What did they look like at the 3 hour mark when you switched from indirect to direct? Was the meat pulling back from the bone? Baby backs as a first cook is a pretty aggressive first cook.
    I'm pretty sure most of us had a good bit of grilling/smoking experience when we got our eggs, expected greater results from our new and highly recommended grill and as a result, we are sometimes disappointed, even though the meal was good. There is a learning curve to the egg. I've had mine over a year and still learn every time. Just feel confident your future cooks will improve even more.