Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New To The Eggsperiance

Options
Scooby
Scooby Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well hello, I just finally broke down and bought a large from my local reatailer. My neighbor had gotten the guy into the BGE and has been trying to get me to get one. I love this thing!! I wish he had brought me some samples years ago...Anyway a little about myself, I am 29, married, and have a 3.5 year old girl. I am a huge fan of BBQ, with my favorite being...RIBS. I just got my BGE set up last night, and grilled some steaks on it, and they were fantastic. I din't sleep well last night, as I couldn't hardly wait to try something else today...So enough b.s, I hope that you all will excuse my lack of knowledge in the Professional grilling, as I will have many questions to come. I have really enjoyed looking at some of the recipies on the forum. Tonight I believe that I am gonna try pork loin chops, any tips on the best way? Thanks alot, and I will probably be back alot throughout the day...-Joshua

Comments

• NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Good Morning Scooby and welcome to the club!

It's early enough, so go out and start your day with some eggs and breakfast sausage on the Egg!

Everything I know I learned from the fine folks on this forum.

Happy Eggin!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Like this maybe?

PancakesEggandbaconongriddle-1.jpg

Breakfast on the Egg is a truly fun Eggsperience.

Spring "Breakfast Of Overweight Champions" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    When you try doing Ribs try the 3-1-1 method ,the best I have ever had .The Large is a graet one to start with I think the best.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Welcome to the club.

You will really enjoy grilling now.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Welcome to the club.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Welcome to the club.

Greg
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Welcome aboard and get ready for some serious cooking.You have the best tool out there to enjoy.As to lion chops I prefer a bone in chop 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch cut.Brush the chops all over with a little olive oil and coat both sides with your favorite dry rub.You have to check out the Dizzy Pig web site for some really good rubs.Get the Egg up to medium high heat and cook direct for 5 to seven minutes a side till internal temperature is 145 degrees.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    As for your pork chop question, most here sem to prefer a high temp sear and finish at a lower heat. Personally, I have better luck with lower temp cooked indirect, usually 300 dome to an internal temp of 135-140, then wrap in foil and a bath towel for 20-30 minutes. Always come out nice and juicy, but if you like a crisp exterior, t-rex is the way to go.

Sauce, marinate, rub, it's up to you.

slick
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I did country ribs last night. I'm not sure if that refers to the same portion as it does in the US but it is the small rib bones with loin attached. Did them at 250 indirect with cherry for four hours on the large and then moved them to the medium at 500 for a few minutes. They were awesome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Welcome, sounds like you are going to have a fun summer.

Just wait till you start photographing food. Get ready for some strange looks from the significant other.......LOL!

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As a rib fan, you will love the Egg even more. Without trying, my ribs are now better than anything I'd done on other cookers. Occasionally, they are outstanding, if I do say so myself.

As above, loin chops are good seared and then finished at a lower temp.

Pork steaks are a great fast cook. I like to marinate them for a few hours, and then cook at 500, flipping every 10 minutes or so till done. They come out moist and tender and not greasy.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Ask away... and welcome
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Welcome...you can probably gain some insight and tips on various EGG related topics on my websight..linked below..and if you haven't already...definately visit "The Naked Whiz's" website...
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    You didn't mention your hobbies...doesn't matter anyway your egg is your new hobby, all the rest will fade away. :laugh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    congrats on buying your first egg i say first because you will eventually buy another or 3 :P

here is a pork chop recipie:::

Pork, Chops, Grilled, KennyG

Try this one courtesy of Julie (Mrs. Dogs). I've had guests raving about these as they chew on the bone.

Ingredients:
    4 Pork chops (I've been using bone-in rib chops 1.5-1.75 inches thick. At this thickness, they should weigh about 1 lb each.
    1 cup orange juice
    1-4 Tbs jerk sauce (1 tsp of jerk sauce per pound of pork will give you the flavor and not the heat. 1 TBS jerk per pound will add a little nip.)
    3-4 splash rum (about two jiggers )

Directions:
    1 Marinate your pork chops in Orange juice, jerk sauce, and rum. I do 2 hours in the marinade max.
    2 I smoke them at about 275* dome using Jack Daniels and pecan chips.
    3 I pull them at 135* internal and cover in foil while I crank the Egg up. 700* seems to work best although I would not recommend that on the forum.
    4 Dust with Char Crust original hickory and give them a minute or so blast per side to add the grill marks and crisp up the small amount of fat.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: KennyG

Source: BGE Forum, KennyG, 06/27/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. Resistance is futile! :laugh: I like to cook chops like a ribeye which is what they are, a bone in ribeye of a hog. Never had problems with my gasket but some say you need to advoid high temp sears for a few cooks. That said try this:

Get your fire rolling like this with lid up
    AFOODMIDAPRIL032.jpg

While waiting for fire to build salt and fresh cracked pepper both sides well and add rosemerry to both sides.
    AFOODMIDAPRIL031.jpg

Toss on grill with lid open for 1 1/2 min a side then remove the chops, close all dampers on Egg and clase lid. The temp probably will not get above 350-400 before it dyes down. When it gets to 350 put chops back on and cook to desired doneness holding temp at 300-350. Usually 3-5 min a side for 1-1 1/2 inch chops.
    AFOODMIDAPRIL071.jpg
    I did these "caveman": sear direct on coals and finnish on the grill. Wife and me do all our sears this way.
    AFOODMIDAPRIL033-1.jpg
  • Scooby
    Scooby Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks to all, love this place, and love the BGE...-Joshua
  • Smokin' Jacket
    Options
    this is only a test