Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to experiment with a D.O. (which I need to buy today)this evening. This experiment will likeley include tomatoes, left over pork shoulder(chopped), garlic, onions, etc which I am going to put over some type of pasta. btw.....my girlfriend think I'm crazy too.
Advice: Put the D.O. directly on grid at reg level OR raise it up OR use platesetter? Dome temp?
Any suggestions on size of new D.O. for my large Egg?

Thanks!

PS. If experiment doesnt fail I will post pics tommorow.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a 9 quart for my large and it works eggstatically. I don't use the top when cooking. I have done chili and gumbo on the spider with no barrier and there were some hot spot issues, so now I do it indirect with feet up on plate setter and spacers underneath the DO. Mine has no feet. Usually cook at 350F.

Stew, Gumbo, Turkey & Sausage, Richard Fl

Oh! What to do with all those great turkey leftovers? A friend of mine who works in a BBQ joint gave me the legs and wings of 4 BBQ'd turkeys yesterday and asked me to make some gumbo. TUFF Project!!

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Stalks Celery, Diced Small
    1 Cup Bell Pepper, Red and Yellow (Seeded and Diced Small) Green will also work.
    2-3 Cups Onions, Chopped Large
    1 Cup Carrots, Diced
    3-4 Bunches Scallions, Sliced Small
    2-3 Lbs. Okra, Sliced
    2-3 Tbs Garlic, Chopped
    2 Lbs Andouille Sausage, (Cut in 1/4 length wise and then 1/4 in. pieces)
    6 Cups Turkey, Cooked, Chopped (1 in. pieces)
    10-12 Cups Turkey/Chicken Stock
    2-3 Tbs Creole Seasoning
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    File
    1 Can Rotel, Hot ( Optional )
    Roux
    1/2-3/4 Cup Oil, Peanut or Canola
    3/4-1 Cup Flour
    Equiptment:
    1 9 Qt Dutch Oven
    Handful Apple Wood small chunks

Procedure:
    1 I did all the preliminary cooking on the stove. ESPECIALLY the roux to control the temperature. After all was assembled and brought to a boil, it was them placed on the BGE.
    2 In a heavy bottom Dutch oven/stock pot saute in cooking oil (olive not recommended because of flavor) celery, bell peppers, onions, carrots and garlic until softened. Remove and then sauté sausage. Remove and drain. Next make the roux in the pot. When ready Slowly add some hot broth. and the rest of the ingredients. Some of the okra and broth may have to be added after an hour or so as there will be more room.. If you want hot add the Rotel the last hour.
    Roux
    1 If doing the roux in a separate pot:--In the dutch oven or a heavy duty skillet, cast iron works best, heat up the oil slowly and whisk in the flour a 1/4 at a time. Bring heat up and whisk constantly. Careful not to burn. if it burns start over, a cheap investment. It will get to the color of peanut butter or a new shiney copper penny, 10-15 minutes. Mix 1/4 cup or so to the rest of the pot and stir slowly BE CAREFUL, THE HOT ROUX MAY SPLATTER. Stir slowly and let simmer for an hour or so, stir often as the gumbo may stick to the bottom and burn if left unattended. Enjoy!
    Cooking:
    1 BGE Set up indirect, inverted, legs up, plate setter at 350°F, with little spacers between plate setter and pot, unless it has its own feet. Cook with some smoke, I used apple. Stir every hour or so for 3-4 hours. May need to add more broth or so! Ready.l
    2 This particular batch I put on at 7PM and shut down the BGE at 3:30 AM, leaving the pot in until 9 AM Great flavor.
    3 Place in a serving bowl, over rice works for some, and then add a little file. Enjoy !!!

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/23
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you are getting a cast irom DO, direct will be fine. Camp style (with legs) are designed to set direct on the coals so on your grid will be ok. Be carefull using tomatoes on a new DO. The acid in them will remove seasoning. If it is preseasoned you will still see some of it come out which could allow what you are cooking to stick a bit. Once you have used it a while and it is "well" seasoned, this should not be a problem.
    IF CW sees this he will add some good advice for you. I would go with a dome temp. 350-400 and just watch it to be sure it is not sticking.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Bass Pro shop usually has good prices on CI DO's...i have a 5 qt and 7 1/2 qt...I usually cook chili, stew & bread indirect with platesetter...I will either put the DO on the grid or on the platesetter with feet underneath...

now I need to find a smaller DO for my small :whistle:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    I saw a post a couple of weeks ago with a pic of tater tots cooking on top of the D.O lid. Thought that was pretty cool. It seems the units with that type lid are the "camp style" whcih also come with feet. Do the feet work directly on grid......seems it may not fit right. Any advantages/disadvantages to camp style D.O's on the Egg?

Ron
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Personally, I have heard that you should not do tomatoes for the first couple of DO cooks.

The acidity could cause some damage.

Take it for what it's worth, as I just read it somewhere.

Greg
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks Greg. I think I will refrain from the tomatoe idea for now.

RB
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i use the camp style with the legs sitting on a pizza stone. somewhere around 300 to 325 gets a good simmer. dont watch the therm, watch the simmer and adjust from there. marshals here had the enameled ovens for a good price, i use those when im cooking with tomatoes.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    oops, replied in wrong spot.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I use both CI and enamaled CI and both work great on the egg.

The set ups are endless. My favorite is using the spider normal position for browning or searing, then spider inverted which gets the DO away from the coals.

Don't use the lid or you may as well put the DO inside the oven or on the stove. Kind of like taking a shower with a rain coat.

If you get a DO with legs they most likely will 'pinch' and tend to be unlevel and a bit unstable when using directly on the grid. I ended up grinding off the legs on all my DO's that I use in the eggs.

If you DO is not seasoned you will need to do that. If you season it in the egg make sure you keep it well away from the gasket.

Your set up will depend somewhat on what you cook. My favorites are Pot Roast, Stews, Soups turn out fantastic and ofcourse don't forget the Chili (with tomatoes). I use a lot of tomatoes with my DO cooking. No problems with my CI DO's.

At Christmas time we cooked a few hams. After the ham feast I took the bone and some remaining small pieces of the ham, tossed them in the DO. Added some dried split peas and the recomended water. That turned out to be one of the best split pea soups I have ever had. I probably should have added some other vegies but I was in a hurry and that was the most simple ingredient list I could come up with.

We also did some bean and ham soup again fantastic.

Hopefully some of the pictures down below will give you some inspiration.

Good Cookin, GG

Some great Chili
    chili2.jpg

Post Roast and some of the steps...

doroast1.jpg

doroast4.jpg

doroast5.jpg

doroast6.jpg

doroast7.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    A pretty good cook in a DO is Elder Wards'Chicken and Dumplings.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The 5 qt works fine for the Small...

see my post above!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    This is what I want to try in my DO :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sea Pie (Six Pates)

"This is an old French recipe that was passed down from my great-grandmother to my mother and to myself and my family. Many people think that this has to do with fish or sea food when they see the name, but it does not have anything to do with fish at all. The name in French is six pates, which translated in English means 6 doughs."

INGREDIENTS
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
    3 pounds boneless pork roast, cubed
    5 pounds boneless beef sirloin, cubed
    6 large stalks celery, chopped
    4 large onions, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    6 homemade 9 inch pie crusts

DIRECTIONS
    In a Dutch oven, cook meat over medium-low heat until the mixture begins to brown. Mix in onions and celery, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Arrange 2 pie crusts in a single layer on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Spread 1/2 of the meat over the pie crusts. Arrange 2 more pie crusts over the meat layer, and then spread remaining meat on top of the pastry. Top with remaining pastry. Press the pastry to the sides of the pan, and poke 8 small holes in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
    Bake for 1 hour, or until dough is golden brown and the pie is hot and bubbly.

if someone else tries it before me let me know how it turns out :laugh:
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Here's a 4 quart (#8) Griswold in a small.

DSC01103.jpg

--Doug