Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ventilation

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What type of ventahood would be recommended if placing a large green egg on a covered screen porch with 10' ceiling?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I don't have a venthood greenie and ceiling above mine is between 10 and 11 feet..have not noticed any discoloration of ceiling as yet but am probably going to put some kind of hood soon..oh..and I've added some fire retardant mats under both of my eggs and my gazzer...
    5a57574f.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Not sure how I'd do it, but when I inquired about building an outdoor kitchen, I was told that our local fire code is very strict about not allowing any kind of roof structure over a grill. Evidently there have been quite a few house fires started around here because of grills. Be careful.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    That's weird and very difficult (but not impossible) to imagine someone setting an overhead roof on fire with a grill. Probably getting carried away with a container of lighter fluid could do it! Anyway, I'd have to bet that there's a violation lurking behind many homes there...
  • Rascal
    Options
    I cook in an enclosed lanai (screened on two sides) with an 8' ceiling and have no problems.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you've never had a spark fly up with the current out of your top vent? one of those little guys that trails orange for a few feet before it burns out?

i'd be very wary....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rascal
    Options
    I appreciate the comment but the ceiling is metal. 8 - )