Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed thighs

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stuffed some boneless, skinless chicken thighs today. Stuffing was feta cheese, lime juice, garlic, vidalia onion, bell pepper, pineapple, and some swamp venom. Wrapped in bacon and dusted with Jamaica Firewalk. On the small indirect at 350 for 2hrs. Mightyfine.

101_2656640x480.jpg

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Boy, them sme purty thighs.....(banko music playing in the background)
    :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Nice looking thighs. I have stuffed a few like a ABT. Peppers and cream cheese. Wrap the whole thing in bacon. MMMM-MMMM.

I saw your post earlier about the Papa Murphy's, Thanks.
  • BamaBackdraft
    BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
    Options
    Chicken looks great Frank. That must be a new addition to the family! :laugh: Looks awfully white inside.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice recipe...you mentioned two hours. I suppose that I'll also have to try it on the SBGE as well. Two hours of 350 on the LBGE, and I believe that the thighs would be overcooked.

Thanks again for the recipe...I'll be adding that of the list of stuff to cook.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Mike, I'm new to the BGE world. I have a LBGE for just a few months. But, why would an indirect temp of 350 cause a time difference between a small vs a large? This is not a challenge, I just don't know enough about how the BGE cooks and wonder why - if the "oven" is at 350, does it make a difference about the size of the oven (oh my, maybe size does matter...).
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It is - third cook
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    That sounds great. I always prefer dark meat to white anyway. Noticed you kept clean up to minimum! ;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    WADoug,

When I've cooked chicken in the oven (whole, or parts with the bone in) I'd usually go 350 deg for about an hour. That would be about long enough for me that the chicken didn't dry out. When cooking on the BGE, I initially setup the cooker in much the same way, and used the plate setter so that I didn't have little meteorites at the end of the cook time, so that is why I asked about the two hour time. I'd cook the chicken for two hours at 250, but not at 350.

About which cooker to use, you're right--it really doesn't matter, because 350 is 350, right? Look at his setup in the picture, and you'll see that there was a lot of foil and stuff underneath the chicken, and that will restrict the airflow through there. In the LBGE, if I put in the plate setter and even a half-tray aluminum drip pan, there will be significantly more "gap" around the edges. What I was going to try to do was to simulate his setup on my SBGE to see if the chicken could hold up well for more than an hour in that configuration. Frank's recipe got me interested in cooking his dish, and I just wanted to be sure that I got the BGE setup correct.

BTW, welcome to the EggNation! I've only had my LBGE since Oct 2007 (like around Halloween time) and the SBGE since Jan 2008. However, I think that I've cooked more food on the two of them in that short span than I've cooked on my old cookers in a much longer span. I've cooked on big smokers, kettle grills, and gassers, and BGE is the way to go. I look forward to reading about some of your creations
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    BB is real observant. I had an unconventional setup. I forgot to order a platesetter when I ordered the small.

To effect an indirect setup I took some old metal skewers and bent them to fit between the fire box and the fire ring. Then I rested two firebricks on the metal skewers. A round holey wok that just fit inside the small was lined with HDAF and went on top of the fire bricks and then the grid on top of that. The 350 for two hours probably wasn't just right either - just rounding off. Started closer to 250 then coaxed it up to 350. Each one was overstuffed to the extent that I wrapped them longitudinally as well as transversely (what?!) so the fillings wouldn't fall out (that just sounds like a good excuse to use two pieces of bacon on each thigh :evil: ) My bride loves em. She said next time we stuff with feta cheese she wants to swap the pineapple with black olives - geaux greek. Any other suggestions to make it more of a greek feel - grape leaves?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Hi Frank!

Thanks for the clarification...just wanted to ensure that I had your recipe and setup down right :)

For the Greek version, you may want to try a little oregano on the chicken...and perhaps serve a tzatziki sauce on the side, along with some pita bread.

Thanks again!