Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey... AZRP ! I found pork bellies

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Randy, try here.

https://www.dartagnan.com

They're pretty pricy but a friend buys from them a lot and swears by their quality

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    did you try eastern market at all?
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    No, i really hadn't tried yet. I'm thinking this will be a good fall project. i hear bacon freezes really well prior to slicing. On my way out now I'll stop at Eastern markret if I see a parking spot!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Where are the bellies, I'm not finding them. -RP
  • fug
    fug Posts: 3
    Options
    'round DC I've bought pork belly at Gladhill Meats in Damascus, MD - farm country. I cured the belly according to the bacon recipe in Ruhlman's 'Charcuterie' (cure, salt, brown sugar, maple syrup) and hot smoked it on the Egg with hickory. It was fantastic.
  • AZRP
    Options
    That's exactly what I want to do, great book huh. -RP
  • fug
    fug Posts: 3
    Options
    AZRP,

The book is awesome. If you haven't already, you should take several hours and read this entire 97-page thread on eGullet about preparing various cured items from the book - I found it very informative. I'm trying to get the guts up to try duck confit someday.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=79195&hl=

When I made the bacon about a month ago, I bought a 5# belly and cut in half. I cured 2.5# using a bit more than half the recipe from the book (I figured it would be tough for me and my family to eat 5#s without ending up in the hospital) and saved the other half of the belly in the freezer - I'm going to cure the second half next week. I cured the belly for six days and then hot smoked it on the Egg at about 180-200 with a pretty heavy smoke - about 5 big hickory chunks mixed with the lump. I thought the smoke might be too strong (it had a strong smoke smell even when double wrapped in plastic wrap) because my wife made me take it down to the "beer fridge". No problem. After sitting a day or two wrapped up it mellowed nicely. Starting the next day and continuing for the next two weeks we sliced it up for breakfast - the end pieces were a little salty due to the penetration of the cure, but starting about 1/4" from each end we were in bacon heaven. So, about 95% of the belly was probably the best bacon I've ever had. I was surprised at how easy it was to make.

fug
  • AZRP
    Options
    Thanks, I've got it bookmarked. I've made Canadian bacon, and cured smoked sausage, and am anxious to try bacon. Learned a lot from the book. Probably the point it drove home to me most is that I have been way over cooking sausage. Next time I cook brats, I'm going to pull them at 150 and see how they are. -RP
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Pork belly is a staple in Oriental cuisine: if there's an oriental market nearby (as there was to me 5 years ago in Colorado) you can find uncured pork belly for roughly the price of cured bacon in a supermarket.
    HTH

Ken