Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy\'s pizza report

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a regular crust pepperoni pie on the way home yesterday. Since it would be 3 hours before baking it, I put it in the fridge. Fired up the baking Egg about an hour before cooking with the plate setter legs up, main grid on the legs, extended grid on the main, and pizza stone on that. Took the pie out of the fridge 40 minutes before cooking to let the dough rise, and added some home made Italian sausage.
IMG_0972Small.jpg

With a stable dome temp of 450 and clean smoke it was cooking time. The pie comes on a bakeable paper tray which I used for the first 10 minutes of cooking. Then I slid the pie off the tray and onto the stone, rotating it 180 degrees. 5 more minutes and it was done. The crust was good although a lot softer than I like. They do put a serious amount of pepperoni on it, like 2 solid layers of it. All in all I'd give it a thumbs up. -RP
IMG_0975Small.jpg

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks pretty tastey!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    For a pre made pie that looks real good>The name was not familiar to me so I did a Google thing and the closest location is 390 miles away.Their web site shows a lot of stuff being put on the pie and seems to be way above average.Your set up for the is similar to the way I did mine the other day.Have you ever tried with the legs down instead? I noticed it took a bit longer for me to hit the 500 degree mark or it could have been another problem.The extra high grid to get it up as far as I could go was using 4 1/2 inch carriage bolts.

spatchcockchicken061-1.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    There aren't any Papa Murphies in NJ. What an interesting concept a store that only sells uncooked pizza's. Looks good I'd like to try one.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Looks good AZRP. Will have to try that. Maybe tomorrow night. I was surprised that they would not sell you the dough. They did sell my friend some about a year ago. Oh well. Looks better than when we cook in the high priced oven the wife has.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Did these last week, per request, to see if two pizzas are possible on the Rig. Truth-be-told, I'm too lazy to egg pizza, simpler to hit pizza hut in 20 minutes.
    pizza2.jpg
    Both were store bought Digiorno: round self rising, square regular crust. Used a bge stone and 16 inch round pan for indirect. Temp around 400, cook about 40 minutes. Rotated grids once or twice.
    pizza3.jpg
    The pizzas were a bit smoky on flavor, maybe best to use fresh lump and totally burn off the chicken drippings from the last cook. Also made the mistake of using Pan on the grids. The excess oil smoked given the 400 degree temp. Might go a tad higher on temp to quicken the cook.
    pizza7.jpg
    All in all, crispy crust, the round rose nicely and nothing burned. T
    pizza4.jpg
    pizza6.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • AZRP
    Options
    That's got you way up there for sure, I think this pie would have been hitting the dome at that height. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    The guy said corporate doesn't allow them to sell dough. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Did the top one cook differently than the bottom one? You going to Austin? -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If you have a Nick-n-Willy's nearby try their take and bake pizzas. Those are good and IMHO are head and shoulders over Papa Murphy's. BTW if you're so inclined and want them to build your pizza on a screen for instance they will gladly accomodate - you just need to take it in.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    That is one good looking pizza. :cheer: Now I have to go find a Papa Murphys, then you can come over and teach me how to cook it. :woohoo:

Are you going to Austin? I was trying to, but alas work got in the way.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    It would not be able to get it any higher.The tip of the BGE thermometer was about 1/16 of a inch to touching the pizza stone.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Mike - There are three in Baton Rouge. I'm pickin a couple up next trip to visit Mike the Tiger :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    Options
    No, Austin isn't on the tour schedule this year. Atlanta, Denver, and maybe Illinois or Minnesota. BTW, cooking directions come with the pie. :P -RP
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    We use Papa Murphy's frequently and have never been disappointed. I put mine on an elevated rack made with 4" carriage bolts. I just look carefully through the daisy wheel to judge progress.

Bevo (Colin)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Try the chicken/garlic/ranch pizza.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    Options
    Dude, pretty impressive if you are recommending these. -RP
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Bevo, I'm new here so I have lots of questions. I want to get a elevated grate using carriage bolts, but I can't find a 4" stainless steel bolt in my area. What do you use? Is zinc ok? or galvanize?
  • Bevo
    Options
    I don't know whether mine are zinc or galvanized, but I know they're not stainless. Someone much more knowledgeable than I (maybe thirdeye or stike or someone with an engineering background?) debunked the rumor that the bolts had to be stainless.

I can't speak authoritatively; I just went into the Home Depot and picked up the first bolts, washers, and nuts that were the right size.

Good luck,
    Bevo (Colin)
  • Bevo
    Options
    ~thirdeye~

You are correct. Those are great.

Bevo (Colin)