Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I cooked tonight - salmon with bourbon dijon glaze and strawberry salsa

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I decided to try a couple of new things tonight. I decided to do them all at once. I did 2 12oz salmon filets the way I usually do, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, with alder smoke. I placed the fish on foil, on a porcelain flat thing with holes, on the grate in its normal position. I used Gretl's bourbon dijon glaze. Very nice. I also dumped strawberry salsa all over it, very nice, also. However, I think the two should be mutually exclusive. The salsa completely covered up the glaze. I think in the future, I'll do one or the other. Anyway, here is what I used for the salsa, based on an earlier post from Q.N.E.Tyme....[p]I chopped up a small tomato about the size of a small baseball. (Speaking of baseball, did I mention my son's team won the NC 4A State Championship? Oh, that's right, I did. Photos can be found at www.nakedwhiz.com/champs/champs.htm) I chopped up two very large strawberries, about the size of very small baseballs. (Speaking of baseball, did I mention my son's team won the NC 4A State Championship? Oh, that's right, I did. Photos can be found at www.nakedwhiz.com/champs/champs.htm) I chopped up about 1/2 of a red onion that started out the size of a very large baseball. (Speaking of baseball, did I mention my son's team won the NC 4A State Championship? Oh, that's right, I did. Photos can be found at www.nakedwhiz.com/champs/champs.htm) Then I added lime juice, a wee bit (about 5 thin slices) of finely chopped jalapeno, 1/2 tsp salt, a good cranking of fresh ground black pepper, about 1/3 cup of yellow corn, and enough chopped cilantro to make it look nice. I'd say about 2 Tbsp?? Oh, and 1 clove of crushed garlic. Mix well and let sit for a couple of hours so the flavors can blend. [p]One other curious note. My wife looked at the recipe for Gretl's glaze and started looking sick. Needless to say, I asked why. Confession time!! It seems that in her youth, she had a somewhat unpleasant and apparently unforgettable encounter with a bottle of bourbon. Apparently, the bottle of bourbon won. So, fwiw, I made two batches of glaze and for my wife's I substituted equal parts apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar for the bourbon. She said she liked it. [p]TNW
[ul][li]Did I mention my son's team...[/ul]
The Naked Whiz