Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping ThinkandDrive

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Give me your procedure for doing the romaine again, I lost too many brain cells at the after party. -RP

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I wanna say something here soooooo bad, but it's not nice to kick a man when he's down :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    Options
    Go ahead, I deserve it. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Nah!!! I ding you enough already. As painful as it turned out you still had a good time. That is all that counts. ..

unless you come to Greenwood I'll see you in October. You know you have an open invitation to the Wolf Compound whenever you and Kim come to NC.
  • AZRP
    Options
    I am still thinking about Greenwood. -RP
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    No problem.

I like to start with the trimmed hearts of romaine. When it's just my wife and I, a half is usually a good serving. If I'm going to chop it afterward and serve to a bunch of people, untrimmed heads are okay. The tips of the leaves are going wilt a bit, but that's sometimes nice in a salad, as long as you have a really crisp balance.

Get a tub of water or clean the sink really well and just soak the romaine for a good 20 minutes or so in cold water. Ice it if you can. Hold the romaine by the core and "swish" it around so any grit falls out.

Then slice the romaine through the core, trying to go between leaves if you can , so as few leaves as possible get detached. Back into the ice water.

Bring the egg up to about 600 degrees. I don't have a CI grate. But I think one would be ideal here.

Shake off the excess water from the lettuce and drizzle about a tablespoon of really good olive oil on. The fruitier the better. Then rub minced or thinly sliced garlic into the leaves and get some stuck between them. I prefer thinly sliced garlic because it toasts a little when it gets hit with the heat.

Place the romaine cut face down on the heated grid and press down for about 20 seconds. Close the lid and let it go for about 20 more seconds. Anything longer than 45 seconds at 600 will reduce the lettuce to a wilted mess. If you don't get it up that high, a minute might be okay.

Pull the romaine off and squeeze a half lemon over the cut side of the romaine and sprinkle with good cheese. Parm is good. Feta is even better.

That's it.

If you did everything right, the ice water bath should have kept the "backside" of the lettuce from getting hot and you should still have a cool salad to enjoy. Also important to get oil over the whole face as much as possible. That keeps it from wilting a little too.

Let me know how it works out!

imgp2061.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    Will do, thanks man. -RP