Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jack and Coke Tri Tip

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This idea comes from Dr BBQ's Big Time BBQ Cookbook. I've soaked a ton of beef in Jack but never mixed it with anything but ice. He suggested a better cut of beef but sometimes you have make a sub. Here is the packaged Tri Tip
IMG_0026.jpg
Soaked overnight in Coke and Jack and no it did not dissolve.
IMG_0030.jpg
TRexed at 600 2 minutes per side.
TTRest.jpg
Cooled Egg to 400 about 5 minutes a side add some grilled Radicchio and some Bob Evans Mashed Taters ( Hey I'm cookin for one tonight) Tomorrow I'll celebrate Cinco DeMayo one day late with leftover beef burritos.
Tritip3.jpg

I was worried it would be too sweet but the best piece was the tiny tip it had the most flavor. Next time add cuts to the meat. I also used BBQ Delight Jack pellets but I added them to late during the hold. First time I used them they smell great just need to add them sooner during the cool down.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Tri-Tip is a surprising cut of beef.

I like to marinate mine in equal parts of soy sauce, Worcestershire's Sauce and Balsamic Vinegar with a tsp. or so of dry mustard.

I then coat them with Raising the Steaks, sear and roast till 135 internal.

Or I fly out to Eggs by the Bay and eat Morro Bay Rich's offering..
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    This is only my second time cooking a tri tip Egg or Weber . This time I cut it across the grain and it was much better. It will become a regular in the rotation now.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I thought this was your marinade of preference :woohoo: :laugh: . OHHH my bad this was breakfast :evil: :evil: Sorry Pete,, couldn't resist

100_1702.jpg

Pat
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thanks. i have avoided coke due to sweetness but i will take your advice and put this to the test. it looks perfect
    bill
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Whiskey and Coke make a great soak though I prefer a little Turkey! ;) Ether way looks great.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Pete,

I'll be sure to save you some this year. I seems to have worked myself into a rut, but not a bad rut to be in.

Regards,
    Rich
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that's the first picture i have ever seen of him where he is smiling ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That might have something to do with the bottle being full. That was right before he made a great breakfast in Ocala. Everybody filled up but he still wanted to cook so (sorry Pete) here he is at 3:00.

100_1714.jpg

Can't rag Pete to much but he told me not to tell anybody he's a nice guy. And if you have the pleasure of meeting him he really is a nice guy (sorry again Pete)

100_1720.jpg

Pat
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i have met him a couple times :whistle:

Eggtoberfest07008.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    That's the perfect level of doneness! I'm slowly getting the kids used to eating mid-rare/medium beef, but I don't think that my wife will ever get there :) It's OK, though--I just cook hers a bit more so she'll still eat the food off the BGE.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Dayum I look old....

I never leave home without my Appleton's :)

Poor Bente actually got to see the really ugly side of me. I get really cranky when the fire in all four of my eggs goes out. Maybe I need to drink more of that Rum!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Unless there is a minor miracle between now and then I am afraid I will not be at Eggs by the Bay this year. :(

I simply don't have the money for it.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Pete,

If you don't make it, I'll personally eat a piece of tri-tip in your honor.

Rich
  • BENTE
    Options
    i still love ya though pete ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb