Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar planked salmon

Options
c tredwell
c tredwell Posts: 575
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey y'all,
tonites dinner................cedar planked salmon with honey lime dressing.
Will post more pics when they're done!

ctredwell
go dawgs
salmon1-1.jpg

Comments

• J Mac
    J Mac Posts: 14
    Options
    Sounds great. What temp do you need to get to for the planks to smoke properly.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Hey J--

The planks were on direct 550F when I put them on. Waited 'till they were smokin' and curling ( about 5 min.) before i put the fish on. Another 20 min. and we should be golden!

ctredwell
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Honey lime eh? Interesting. I'll stay tuned to hear how you like it.

Haven't seen you around these parts much lately. How you been?
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Hey Fidel,

Yeah, I haven't been around..........busy trying to find some work :( . Not too easy now a days. I wish I could claim this recipe, but it came from a Weber cookbook I have. This is my wife's absolute favorite (I stayed out too late last night, and i'm trying to redeem myself!). But it is incredible. I'll post the whole recipe here in a few minutes as I need to go baste!

Later Buford--
    ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You are right it is great, here is a variation.

Salmon, Cedar Planked, on the Grill

Simple is divine. This very old method of cooking fish celebrates the pure, clean taste of fresh salmon.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 whole salmon fillet (with skin), 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, about 16 inches long and 3/4 inch thick
    Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
    3 sprigs fresh dill, snipped
    Salt and pepper
    1 untreated cedar plank (about 16 inches by 8 inches and at least 3/4 inch thick), submerged in water for at least 1 hour
    Lemon wedges

Procedure:
    1 Place the salmon on a rimmed baking sheet. Using needle nose pliers, remove and discard any pin bones from the salmon. Season the flesh side of the salmon with the lemon zest, dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
    2 Place the soaked plank over Direct High heat until the edges start to smoke and char, 5 to 10 minutes. Move the plank over Indirect High heat and place the salmon, skin side down, on the plank. Grill until the salmon is just slightly pink in the center and brown on the edges, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the plank and salmon to a heatproof surface. Serve warm with lemon wedges.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

Source: Weber
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Richard was close to the same recipe, but here it is in the "Real Grilling" book by Weber. (if y'all don't have any of the 3 Weber cookbooks, go to Lowe's and pick one up)

2 tablespoons of each: lime juice, rice vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, miced chives
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

combine all in a blender and mix drizzling in 1/4 cup evoo till smooth
    season fish w/ kosher salt/black pepper
    coat fish with half of the dressing, saving rest for basting, serving on the side warm
    smoke on a cedar plank for 20-30 min. 450F (direct, skin side down basting once half way thru)

Truely a winner, and super easy

ctredwell
    go dawgs

salmon2.jpg