Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9.92 Lb Whole Sirloin Tips Beef Round

Options
Skipster
Skipster Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All!

New Lg BGE coming tomorrow from Waldorf (Thanks to my friend for picking it up!) with platesetter, stone, CI grate, lifter, yadda, yadda. Got the SS grate from ACGP, too. I am READY.

I am a 20+ year gasser and understand grilling/outdoor cooking - have Thermapen, ET-7, etc. In anticipation of receipt of the Lg BGE, I bought a 9.92 Lb. Whole Sirloin Tips Beef Round. $1.78 per pound and looked righteous.

What would you experienced BGE Chefs do with a 9.92 Lb Whole Sirloin Tips Beef Round? It is good in the cryo until May 12, so I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go::::

Beef, Steak, Sirloin, Lawn Ranger

For anyone looking for a real, sure-fire cook, I'd add this to my list. I never did a follow-up on this cook. It is one the easiest and consistent cooks I have ever done. This was a suggested recipe from Steve Graves aka, Ask-A-Butcher. It's a 3+inch cut of Prime, Top Sirloin that was rubbed 24 hours in advance with a little oil and a heavy coating of QBabes Coffee Rub. The flavors of the rub really melt into the meat during that time. The steak is then tightly wrapped with butcher's twine and sucked up until it is closer to 4 inches thick.

1 Getting Ready!
    2 It's seared at hight temps for two minutes per side then removed to set up for an indirect, raised cook.
    3 The Egg is then stabilized at 350 with plate setter and drip pan and the steak is finished at this temp to approx. 128 - 130 internal. Remove from Egg, foil tent for a few minutes and then slice against the grain. It' is fantastic, and really an impressive meal for not big bucks. Serve with Max's pancetta, mushroom mixture and it's restaurant quality fare.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Lawn Ranger

Source: BGE Forum, Lawn Ranger, 02/08/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Prep meat with mustard and rub. I'd cook indirect (lite smoke,hickory or cherry)at 275F until center reads 130F. Pull,foil and let rest in cooler or oven. Slice thin for roast beast sandwiches. Have horse radish, and pepper relish on hand. Au jus too!

DSCI0014-3.jpg
  • Skipster
    Options
    Thanks and sounds good!

Sounds like I need to slice it into two pieces since it is about 9" x 7"or so for a 350 degree cook...
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Very easy cook and a good one for a first cook on a new or almost new egg. Diana Q makes sirloin tip roasts on the egg quite often. She rubs with steak seasoning and lets the meat sit on the counter while she fires up the egg. (full load of lump and letting the egg fully heat up to where it is stable at 325 dome) Setup is simply the roast sitting in a rack over a drip pan. This setup goes on the grid, no plate setter needed. She roasts at 325 dome until the meat is 135 internal. Use a meat temp probe. Just before the meat goes on she will throw a couple small chunks of hickory on the fire for smoking. The cook is around 2+ hours long for a large roast. Really nice slicing meat for sandwiches down the road. This pic is of a rump roast but you get an idea of the final product outcome......good eats. :cheer:
    BGEBrinedRumpRoast11_06003.jpg
  • Skipster
    Options
    Those are some fine pics! I gotta work, so can't reply for the rest o' the day and I really appreciate the responses!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Good luck and have a blast with your new egg.
  • Skipster
    Options
    Well, the first cook was a breeze!

I froze the 9.92 pounder and bought another one, 10.5 lbs. I rubbed it down with a bit of Gulden's mustard, worcester sauce, lotsa fresh ground pepper, and a dusting of Meat Magic. I let it warm on the counter for an hour or so.

Loaded the BGE with Royal Oak lump to the top of the fire box and used my MAPP torch to light the center. In 25 minutes I had it dialed in at a precise 275 dome. Tossed in two hickory chunks and set up for indirect.

After 4 hours I pulled it at 137 internal. It was beautiful! I think I'll do the next one to 150 - not all the fam likes beef as rare as I do.

Thanks to all for the advice and making my first cook a raging success! I am doing a pork loin today :)