Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To foil or not to foil that is the question

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting set for this weekend's brisket cook. I did not get the 14 lb. Angus Packer's cut because when I measured it the damm thing was 22 inches long and that's not gonna fit in a large egg. I went with a 11 lb. Choice that comes in at 17 inches. After trimming the brisket I wound up with a brisket that weighs 9.5lbs. Tonight I am coating the brisket with sugar and then wrapping it prior to tomorrow nights cook. I may or may not inject it I have yet to decide but I will be coating the brisket prior to putting it in the egg with Dizzy Pigs coarse Dizzy Dust. So back to my question. I have read somewhere that the brisket should be wrapped in foil with a little liquid (beef broth) once the internal temp of the flat portion reaches 165, put back into the egg and then removed when done. Does foiling increase or decrease the cook time approx. 1 1/2 hour per pound and is it worth foiling and injecting? Thanks.

On another note hope everyone has a great time at Waldorf.
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    In my humble opinion it does not need to be wrapped, but then again I don't wrap anything including ribs. I'm sure many don't share my thoughts, but I take my meat straight from the wrapper, plop it on a large platter, and rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder & sugar. Then straight onto the grate it goes for indirect cooking. Baste during last hour of cooking, then onto a large wooden cutting board with my Henkel Carving set. Leftovers into reusable containers. I do this for all cuts. Maybe I am just cheap, but I don't see the need to purchase tons of tin foil just to cook bbq.

Ron

:unsure:
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    According to my understanding the foil will speed up your cook but it will adversely effect the bark. Holding in the moisture effectively parially steams the meat. I have had good luck with out the foil but I am by no means an brisket expert.

Pdub
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I only foil if I need to speed up the cook or I will foil tent if I want the bark to stop developing - on brisket, butts or ribbs and once in a while on chicken whole's and parts.

GG
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    I personally don’t foil. But one suggestion is coat your meat with yellow mustard before you put on the rub. This is an idea I got from a Champ brisket cooker. The acid in the mustard will help tenderize the meat and help hold the rub on.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ive only foiled after cooking and into a cooler. my preference is to cut and eat it immediatley before it starts to dry out, i cut it at the last second after people are seated. that 14 pounder would have been fine. put foil front and back in the egg on the walls, put the thicker end against the hinge side and push it, scrunch it in, works better than you would think. foiling it during the cook will make it more tender but becareful as it can turn into pulled beef.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks fishlessman and to all. I never thought that you could "push it, scrunch it in" as I would have thought that it would not have gotten done. That is why this forum is so important, the sharing of ideas. I have now taken the thought of foiling off the table and will go with a straight cook. Thanks again :-)
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    You can push it in with foil under the ends until it shrinks up to fit, or you can drape it over an inverted V-rack.

I do not foil brisket until it is going into the cooler.

Allow 2 hours per pound. If it cooks quicker, you'll have plenty of time to let it rest in the cooler.