Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uneven cooking of Stuffed Pork Loin!!

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a 5lb. pork loin yesterday, which went on the Egg looking like a Dagwood sandwich on steroids. My filling was literally, pouring out the sides but I cinched her up with butcher twine and popped it all on the Egg in this fashion: plate setter inverted atop fire-ring, and then the meat on a v-rack suspended above a drip pan which sat "inside the legs" of the inverted setter. Although I had a couple of swings above 400 briefly, it was all pulled off after about 2.5 hours at an average of 300-325. I found the top half of the loin to be almost well done, that is, a little whiter and drier than the bottom half, which was a very light and succulent pink. Although a different filling of my own concoction, would that have made a difference from the more uniform results I got from Mr. Toad's Pork Loin some months ago? Was my positioning inside of the Egg a factor? Should I have it sitting down lower away from the dome area?
Kept it more steady at a controlled 300 max?
Love to hear your ideas and thoughts. and Thanks!
Big Murth
p.s. Nonetheless, it came out great, and I'm putting together a concise ingredients list, and will post to "Submitted Recipes" soon.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I did the same loin two weeks ago. Used the same setup as you described. I did use my own stuffing as well and also put the loin in a Jim Beam marinade for the night. I kept the egg at a constant 300. I did put the probe in on the lower half of the loin. My came out white all around. I think I had it on the egg for more than 2.5 hours. Seems it was around 3 to 3.5. Not sure if this helps, but mine turned out great and everyone said it was a keeper. [p]Omaha Mark
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I've done this recipe a few times, and I have rotated the loin on the flat grill 2-3 times during the cook instead of using a V-rack. I take it off at 160: always good and very slightly pink.
    Regards,
    Marvin