Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket complete for lunch

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last nites cook 6.75# brisket headed for wifes work for lunch. Really turned out nice I was able to hold a fairly low temp for 10 hours then 3 hours in the cooler then sliced and on the way
gerry
ready for rub fat cap down
BRISKET001.jpg
BRISKET002.jpg
BRISKET003.jpg
sliced
BRISKET004.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations mighty fine looking cook. Hope it tasted as good as it looks.

GG
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Nice ring. Looks great!

Mike
  • RWhiplash
    RWhiplash Posts: 48
    Options
    Looks fabulous! I am ready to cook my first brisket. Would you mind sharing your recipe and cooking instructions? Thanks.
  • 61chev
    Options
    Sure will although I am far from an Eggspert but this one turned out pretty well. I just got back home from wife's lunch and everyone sure liked the brisket. Started early yesterday am, sprinled evoo on with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, thyme,and celery seed I don't have amounts I am sort of a sprinkle and dump guy just not to much of any one ingredient. Then cover with plastic in fridge until about 6 pm last evening. Had egg stabilized at 250 I have a guru competitor. Setup with plate setter feet up with dry drip pan with 4 1" size balls of foil to raise the pan off the ps, then grid with a reusable pizza screen on grid (makes easy turning and lifting).
    put in on at 7pm and didn't lift lid until 1am this morning to use wiggle rod. checked internal temp at 5am and it was right at 190 to 200 with thermopen. pulled it and wrapped in cooler with foil and towels until 10am then sliced and put in crock pot on low til noon.
    Ooops when I put it in cooler I used 2-3 oz of beef broth with fat side up. When in crock pot I had about 1/2 bottle of kraft original bbq sauce with some apple juice and cider vinegar to fill bottle over the top. I think I have discovered one secret to brisket and that is the cooler step at least 2 hours
    Gerry
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Good lookin piece of meat, both at the start and the end. I am new to this site and to the big green egg (just this week).
    In simple terms,
    1. What is "the cooler step" where you "used 2-3 oz of beef broth with fat side up"
    2. What is a wiggle rod? (is it like my "poking stick" for stiring up the fire or something more advanced)

Great site with great info.

Thanks to all.
  • 61chev
    Options
    The cooler step is just that. When you pull the meat from the egg wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler to rest for awhile. The wiggle rod is a wire bent to clear holes in the bottom grate or like you said to stir the lump for better air flow
    Gerry
  • 61chev
    Options
    The cooler step is just that. When you pull the meat from the egg wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler to rest for awhile. The wiggle rod is a wire bent to clear holes in the bottom grate or like you said to stir the lump for better air flow
    Gerry
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Did you pour the broth into the foil and then wrap it and the meat in the foil? I have used a cooler to hold wrapped cooked meat, but, never thought of doing it on purpose. I don't mean that to sound like I am being an SA. I just never thought of adding a "cooler hold" on purpose. It might be a great way to rest the meat. Did the meat "pick up" the broth in the resting time? thanks in advance. rc
  • 61chev
    Options
    Yes pour the liquid in the foil and wrap and it will not soak it up just keep it moist