Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meschoi (lamb shoulder)

Options
Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As you can see from the title, Meschoi is a Moroccan version of well-done lamb shoulder. In Morocco this is cooked in a clay Tagine (braised slowly). Here is the Egg version:
Today I rubbed a 5 lb. lamb shoulder (have the butcher cut out the upper neck vertebrae) with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little cumin. The shoulder was put on at 8:30 this AM at 240 over drip pan. It was sprayed with olive oil about every 90 minutes. After 9 hours at 240, the meat temp was 195, and I removed it to sit for 30 minutes wrapped in foil. At that point it could have been pulled like a butt, but the proper way is to cut off chunks (in Morocco, they pull off pieces), dip in a dry powder of salt and cumin (1:2) and eat. This lamb was as perfect as they get. I only wish I had a photo of it to show you what it looked like. Frequently we eat lamb - particularly the leg - at medium rare (about 135 degrees). Meschoi is something special, and in Morocco it is served for gala functions. Those who can cook it on the Egg don't have to wait for a special event; it is easy and delicious.
Enjoy,
Marvin

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Marvin,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this information. I have devoured Paula Wolfert's books on Morrocan cooking but I have never seen this particular recipe. And being from the deep South, I have not been successful in finding a tagine. Yeah, I know I can find one via the net but I really would like to see one and maybe have a selection! The only other small problem is that our selection of lamb is still not up to par with other parts of the country, other than from a specialy butcher shops which are few and far between in my fair city. Our local grocers have the usual lamb shanks, legs, chops, and ground, but shoulders are not a staple. Never fear, I intend to find one and give this a try......it sounds wonderful. And, isn't cumin a delightful spice? Thanks again.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Gloria,
    Let us know how you progress. I might add that lamb shanks probably have enough fat to let you cook them on the Egg like a lamb shoulder. I would guess that the time might a bit faster since there is less meat. A polder thermometer should let you get to the 195-200 range without worrying about the time. In fact, I like the idea enough that I'll try it in the next week or too.
    Regards,
    Marvin