Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made sausage today

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got the grinder out and made 14 lbs of brats with a fine grind and 14 lbs of Italian sausage with a medium grind. I bagged the Italian in 1/2 lb and 1 lb bags, figured why stuff it when we always take the casings off of it anyway. The brats I'll stuff tomorrow afternoon, I'm anxious to try them with a fine grind. Now we have sausage to take to Waldorf. -RP

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Sounds like some more frito pies on the way.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Randy,

For your home-ground bulk stuff, try using some of the one pound sleeves, they are very inexpensive and made from heavy duty plastic. They come with generic printing or in all white. Plus, you can make your own fatties :woohoo:

fddf1d97.jpg

8d30537b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Doh!! There you go - reminding me of yet another thing I've been slacking off on. :pinch:

I *still* haven't ordered the replacement parts for my grinder.......what's it been - like two years?

Do you like the fine grind? It seemed to make the meat (from my vague recollection) really pasty.
  • AZRP
    Options
    I'll let you know because I've only tried it on burgers. I've got 14 lbs of brats ground fine, I better like them. I'm guessing we aren't seeing you guys in Waldorf, but you know, we miss you around here especially during Deadliest Catch season. Don't be such a stranger. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Very professional looking, but I just used sandwhich ziplocks. -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you know better than to not take pics

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    Options
    That's stuffed Fritos dude! -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Terry, I've posted so many pics of my sausage making here I'm afraid of being hurled at with rotten tomatoes if I post them again. -RP
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Yeah - we are going to miss Waldorf. I am soo bummed but its my own fault. :(
    We are really gonna miss seeing everyone.

Speaking of deadliest catch - my buddy from North Pacifc Seafoods just gifted us with a 50lb box of frozen king crab from Dutch Harbor.... we've been munching on it for days! :)

claws1.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    Would that be Cho? -RP
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Like they say "if ya aint read it, it's still news". that goes for seein too. :laugh:
  • AZRP
    Options
    OK OK, here is a shot of my beer fridge with the packaged Italian sausage and the brats in the bowl below. -RP
    IMG_0932Small-1.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    looks more like a wine fridge i don't see a beer... you better put a beer in there or you might get a moniker like Grape II... or maybe we will just call you duce :lol: :silly: :woohoo: :laugh: :)B) :cheer: :evil: :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    great shot!!! i like it it looks like a crab comming out of whiches brew :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    Options
    Dang you guys are tough, OK upper shelf. BTW Terry, notice I have diet Cheerwine? -RP
    IMG_0933Small.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    ok you are pardoned....lmao.... and by the way i may get further into this sausage thing later and i will be looking to you for guidence... man i love those brats... so i am sure it will be my first.. do i need to go ahead and buy the sausage grinder attachment or do just go ahead and get the machine?????

p.s. i love the edit feature i spelled so many things wrong :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Very nice. B) :woohoo: .. I wish I could have made the sausage making party :(
    Looking great. ;)
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    what grinder do you have. i thought i recollected you having the attachment for kitchen aide mixer but seems like you would need something heavier duty for that amount. i have really wanted to make some sausages for a while but all i have is kitchen aide right now. what casings do you use for the brats. having seen the insides of too many animals i dont know that i could bring myself to use natural casings.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Tell you the truth Brad, I have tried the collagen casings and hated them. Nothing wrong with the KA for grinding amounts under 10 lbs. I still use it for burgers. I made a lot of sausage with the KA so can't knock it. But yeah, the natural casings are far and away better than the collagen ones, if you want some, I'd be glad to give you all the artificial casings I have. Joe gets his surgery tomorrow morning. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Depends how many lbs you are going to grind. Under 10 and the KA attachment is fine. Over that then get a real grinder and a stuffer. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Wish you could have too, I was going to do it on Saturday, but figured I had time now. -RP
  • BENTE
    Options
    ok so i have watched alton brown grinding some meat before.. if i have the ka should i put it in the freezer first???

it just seems like a flimsy attachment for what it is used for... my mother had a grinder (hand crank) and used to buy a log of bologna and bologna salad.. when i was a kid.. and i remember her cranking on that thing and sweating... the ka attachment looks a little flimsey compared to the work she used to put into it..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    hay brad!!! how is the house comming together.. i think the last time we talked you were getting ready for the last of the moving weekends...

i hope things are returning to normal (or as close as possible) B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• UGAVET
    Options
    Yep, been in the new pad for about 3 weeks now. feels like home already. just gotta get the eggs broke into their new environment
  • UGAVET
    Options
    yep, i knew tommorow was the day. I will hope for the best. Im sure he will be fine. You will just have a busy weekend taking care of the ole boy.
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Nope - Cho doesn't work there any more. Didn't end very well..... However, her former boss lovvves me. :P
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    It definitely has a Halloween feel to it, doesn't it? The tips of the legs almost look like candy corns!! :)