Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

having some people from work over. Help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having ten people from work over in two weeks. I want to cook three things: butts, ribs and AZRP's The Chicken. However, I am struggling with the logistics. I am thinking about cooking the butts overnight, then the ribs (a la Car Wash Mike style), then the chicken. Does that order make sense? If I do it that way, how will I keep the ribs good while I cook "the chicken". Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

PS This is Jackrob3, but I have never been successful to register/confirm through the new site yet. I use a mac, so maybe that's the problem.

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    You must be nervous; you're stuttering.
    Sounds like you have a good plan though… it should work fine.

To keep things warm:
    - Prep a cooler by placing a heavy towel in the bottom and pouring a quart or two of boiling water in it.
    - Double wrap the meat in heavy-duty aluminum foil, then a dry towel, and place that in the cooler.

If you have a low setting on your oven you can place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack, pour some water in that, and place your H-D foil wrapped meat on the upper racks.
    (My oven accepts settings down to 140*)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I wouldn't leave a wet towel in the cooler, the towels around the foiled meat create a dead air space which insulates. If that towel becomes damp, it will become a conductor and no longer insulate. I think the boiling water thing is to warm the cooler, but I would dry it before adding the meat. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its not that you have a mac. The new forum is elaborate. I have several macs, and use several browsers on each. Every session is different to some extent. Maybe download a new browser version and try again.

Your plan seems workable, altho pretty ambitious. When the ribs are almost done, ready for saucing, I'd put them in a cooler. When "The Chicken" is being sauce cooked, I'd place the ribs back onto the grill, and finish cooking those.

If the three items are not seperated into sections, you will be cooking for maybe 24 hours (?). That's a long time to not mess up. You might consider cooking the butts in advance, in order to make your job a little easier. I've re-heated pulled pork both straight in the microwave, and in a slow cooker with Coke, and the results have been almost as good as fresh. Some fresh slaw, and hot sauce will give really good results with a re-heat.
  • AZRP
    Options
    You might want to consider making the butts days earlier, vac seal and freeze them. They can be warmed up in simmering water and they taste as good as just pulled. That will take some pressure off of you too. The BBs are a 5 hour cook and will keep just fine wrapped up in the cooler for the 2.5 hour chicken cook. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I don't know how long AZRP's chicken takes. I cooked for 24 about 3 weeks ago. Ribs were done 2 1/2 hours before serving. I cooked as usuall, sliced. Then placed in an aluminum foil pan with 6 oz. apple juice. Covered with foil. In the oven at 250 until time to eat. Might have been better that way.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    All above is great advice but as for the Mac thats what I use and am computer stupid but have not had the problems with the transfer's that most had. Odl safari had problems but went to Firefox and I almost look smart :P . Keyword almost.
    Good luck

Pat
  • Michael B
    Options
    I've done it many times, successfully. Seems to do better than just a warmed cooler. I do use very heavy bath towels that hold enough water that they are still only damp. If there is a question whether the towels are too wet, you can really wet them down with boiling water, wring them out well, and then place them in the cooler.
    I did forget to add that I place a sheet of H-D foil on top of the towels before adding the food.
  • AZRP
    Options
    The foil over the wet towel will prevent what I was talking about. My concern was the towels around the meat getting wet. I had a beer cooler that I carried in the back of my pickup for years. At some point the inner liner cracked and the foam between the inner liner and the outer shell became saturated. All of the sudden a cooler that used to hold ice easily for 2 days, couldn't hold a bag of ice for even two hours. -RP
  • Michael B
    Options
    Good point, and good catch.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I am not sure what grill you have, but if you have a large, you can probably cook more than enough butts and ribs at the same time. I'd probably get the butt going for about 6-7 hours and then add the ribs on a higher grid level.

You could keep these warm while you do the chicken.
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    Options
    the thing to do is buy another egg
    and you will be happy