Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cold weather egging

Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a BGE (large) and I really can't say enough positive things about. Just great !!! Question: I live in Canada (Ontario) and I love to bar-b-cue in the winter. Am I going to have a problem with the egg cracking or (???) in cold weather (from cold to hot etc).[p]Comments appreciated from those that have used the BGE in cold weather conditions.[p]Thanks[p]Brian

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Brian,
    living in Vegas i dont know whjat cold is however i have seen many pictures of egg owners in the snowy parts of our country that use them with no problems at all welcome to the family!!

• Brian,
    Sorry for the long post. I believe there isn't a problem with cold temp cooking due to the properties of ceramic. I live in northern Illinois and I always make sure to shovel a path to Humpty after a snow. You'll use a bit more lump for a cook than in the summer, but i've found it seems easier to lock the egg down to a specific cooking temp when it's cold outside. during warmer weather I probably cook 3-5 times a week on the egg and in the winter I'd say I cook 2-3 times a week. I usually cook a lot more meat at one time in the winter and then freeze it for future meals. I think the coldest cook I did last winter was -5F (around -30 windchill). I did quick & dirty burgers.[p]One problem when cooking in the cold is that the dome may freeze to the base after cooling down. I solved the problem by removing and storing the cooking grid outside of the egg and then dumping a bit of fresh lump on top of the coals when shutting her down. If the lid is frozen for the next cook, I just light a firestarter and drop it down the chimney onto the fresh lump. Humpty fires up & thaws the gasket.[p]lns

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Brian,[p]No, you won't have to worry about temperature changes cracking the egg. Lots of folks use them in the winter and in the snow.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Brian,
    Picture should say it all. Yes that's smoke coming out the egg.[p]Beers to ya,[p]Mr Beer

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I've never had any problems with cold weather cooking. When you have a ceramic cooker, "barbecue season" lasts all year long.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Brian, you should see Earl's pictures of him cooking on the northern tundra. Apparently there is no problem (or else Earl is just too proud to admit it.) Good cooking, rain or shine, hot or cold.

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Vegas Slim,[p]there they go, using that 4 letter word again, huh?[p]LVM