Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect heat method

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard about the indirect heat method and am curious to learn how to properly set my egg up to try this method. Been cooking on my egg about every weekend for the last 3 years and have not been disappointed. From fins to feathers to fur, it definitely is the best!

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Ottis,[p] There are any one of a number of ways to cook inderct. All that is required is something that is big enough to shield the food from the direct heat of the fire, but small enough to allow air flow around it and out the chimney. The simplest method is to put a roasting pan under your food. Setups can get more complicated quickly. You can use firebricks or the BGE platesetter to give more shielding, for example. My personal setupis this. I turn the plate setter so that the legs are pointing up. I set this on the fire ring. I have a Brinkman smoker basket, bought at Wal*Mart, that fits perfectly insinde the upside-down plate setter. I line this with foil, place it "inside" the plate setter, and use it as my drip pan. I place a grid on top of the plate setter legs and place the food on the grid over the drip pan. Works like a champ! I think TimM has some pictures of a similar setup over on his site at www.tm52.com.[p]MikeO