Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can You Cook Something You Don't Like?

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are you able to cook something that you don't like for someone else?

Tonight I plank smoked a nice hunk of salmon:
100_8468Medium.jpg

I rubbed it with olive oil, seasoned it with McCormick's Seafood Rub (actually very good for a mainstream commercial product), and put it on a soaked plank in the Egg for 20 minutes at 400f. Every 5 minutes, I basted it with a mixture of 2 tbs sherry, 2 tbs honey and 1 tbs soy sauce.

It came out just about perfect
100_8470Medium.jpg

I tasted it and knew it was seasoned right and perfectly done. Only thing is, I can't eat salmon (or most fish, except mahi mahi). I know what it's supposed to taste and feel like, I just don't like it.

The family devoured it and not a scrap was left. I just ate the potatoes, asparagus, and grilled romaine caeser salad that I made, happy that they enjoyed the salmon.

So how about you? Is there something that you cook for others, and do it well, even though you won't eat it?
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Good on you Chris, I don't think I could cook something that I didn't like very well. I guess I have to be able to taste it and feel it's texture in my mind before I can get it right. Looks like fine eats though, I love salmon. That was actually one of my first cooks on my egg.
  • Haven't found it yet :laugh: Salmon and the rest of the cook looked very good.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    I know where you are coming from..It is tough to do. I usually won't cook something I don't like, BUT..........
    I am doing it right now. I have never been a fan of chili, but decided to try it for the family's sake.
    I have tasted a little as it cooks and heck I may be a chili fan from now on.
    Kudos for cooking up something you don't enjoy for your family. Your salmon looks awesome by the way :cheer:
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Believe it or not. I'm sort of the same way. Not much of any kind of a fish cook but fried. However, I can eat fried salmon patties until the cows come home! And then eat them cold the following day. Wierd, ain't we?

LR
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Sorry but no. My wife is the more picky one. There are things I don't cook cause I know she won't eat it. Boy do I miss stew. :(
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Yeah -- Oatmeal...

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
  • I know how you feel, salmon stinks and taste the same to me. :ohmy:
    I'm 52 and there are two kinds of fish I have tasted that I like and those are fresh Yellow Lake Perch and fresh Walleye preferably one under 20 inches.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Chris,

I often times have to cook certain cuts of beef to medium-well for some of my family; it's OK though. I'd rather make something they'll enjoy, instead of driving them away when I ask them if they'd like some barbecue...my preference is mid-rare/medium.

Kinda like eggs...some folks like 'em just barely heated, and some like them cooked all the way through, or even scrambled. Point is, I'll cook the food however they'd like it done so that I can maintain peace in the home.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    :angry::angry: :( I cook mushrooms stuffed for friends....those thangs are truly disgusting

I know that alot of folks like them I just can't bring myself to eating them....but I COOK THEM FOR PEOPLE

:ohmy: what in the world inspires someone to look in a musty mildewie area on the ground or side of a tree and then eat what they find?

yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

sorry to all you mushroom lovers...just my rant for the day
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Anything pork.
    The closest I come to eating a pig is Jello.

BUT!
    I'm told my ribs are excelent. Same for ABTs, fatties, and ham steaks.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I feel strongly the same way!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE