Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lightered Wood ?

Options
MS_STATE_Dawg
MS_STATE_Dawg Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
Being from South Alabama I have lived my whole life with the wonderfully abundant blessing from the pine forests known as: lightered pine wood. Sure, it may be called different names other places around the country, but I suppose most of you know what I'm referring to.
My question lies within the fact that I have, thus far in my Egg Endeavors, not used any to light my lump when cooking. We've used it for regular fires my whole life and have piles of it.
Have/do any of you use this to start your coals? My reasoning in using it would be that it's just as natural as these "BGE Starters" (and other brands) that I use to start my coals. Is my reasoning correct? Does anyone think I should not use this lightered pine? Please give me your feedback and I look forward to hearing/seeing the conversation. Thanks in advance! Y'all are great.

Comments

• I beleive you would find it would add way too much creosote. You would have to wait till it was COMPLETELY burnned and then still have residue left in your egg.
    Tom
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Don't use it. I have tried it and it takes a very long time for the pine tar smell to leave the cooker. Not all of it will burn if you put it down in the charcoal, and it will smolder and smell for a very long time before you can cook on it. Just use something more appropriate like starter cubes, starter chimney, torch, etc. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    up here it is called fat wood and it burns so well because it is pitch pine, the kind they used to make pitch and turpentine from. black sooty smoke not good on food.
  • MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    Bill, my thoughts exactly on the smoke part.

Thanks for y'all's input, I really appreciate it.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Bill...don't know how far "up" you are but in central Alabam where I am it is commonly called "fat lightered". The chimney sweep I used discouraged me from using to start fires in my fireplace. The odor would discourage me from using it in my Egg. Have a good one.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama