Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with New Egg

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got home with my Brand New, Large BGE.
Pre assembled from the dealer, I just have to add the mates....which he threw in for the deal.

I have read some on this forum and the whiz. Looking forward to experiencing some of the magic myself.

I have used offsets in the past, and of course gassers and kettles.

Ron

Comments

• ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    Welcome, If your anything like me after about a week of cooking and eating from the egg you will feel as if life has a whole new purpose!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    register at photobucket. post pics ask questions . welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Dont mean to sound stupid, but I'm not familiar with photobucket. Is it required.?

Thanks!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Yes we love pics. :) . Your experience with other cookers helps alot but be patient as there is a learning curve. Opening the dome often takes away the advantage of the egg. Welcome and I'm sure this is the last cooker (except for more eggs) you'll ever buy. Congrats

Pat
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    absolutely not. but it is fun . it is a free service that you upload photos to and then you can include them in your posts. instructions for signing up are at tnw. it is pretty easy to do. it is great to look at other people cooks and show yours and helpful if you have a problem. then again i am not the sharpest tack in the drawer so i like the pretty pictures.
    my first cook

chicken.jpg

don't ask

thighs044.jpg

veggies

food012.jpg

again, welcome aboard, start planning for you second egg, ask questions.

bill
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Bill, thanks for the help.
    I registered with photobucket, but not sure exactly it ties into this forum. Oh well, I will mess with it when I have more time.

Quick Question: I am going tommorow to pick up an accessory or two, including the plate setter. Can you or anyone think of any "must have" items I might need? Also, do most folks us a drip pan?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    See above post for latest toy. I usually use disposable foil pans or foil on the plate setter just for easier cleanup.

Pat
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    A pizza stone is nice. Most non BGE pizza stones will crack. I speak from eggsperiance. Hopefully pizza pictures from tonight cook to follow.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    A few must haves.

1. High heat gloves (Welders, Orkas)
    2 Thermapen Instant read thermometer. Yes, Thermapen, there is no substitute.
    3. Pizza stone if you like pizza ( I like pizza)

3-7-08013.jpg

4 A good remote thermometer. Maverick, Polder, Oregon Scientific
    5 A good imagination to come up with different cooking ideas. Like Mushrooms Caprese

4-5-08014.jpg

I'm sure others will add a few items.

Good luck and welcome
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the below posts are right on. photobucket is just a place to park your pics for uploading.
    my first egcessory was a thermopen click here
    bill
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    You don't have to post any pics, but it makes the forum eggsperience a lot better. It kinda defines us as a people :woohoo: just kiddin.
    100_0114.jpg