Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Update

Options
Painter
Painter Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished a late dinner of the best brisket I could ever imagine. My thanks to DavidR and Stogie for the temp tips and Stogie for the rub recipe for this cook. If I could get one this good everytime I think I'd put it up against the BBQ competitors, at least for taste and texture anyhow. The presentation thing would be another story. LOL [p] A 6lb'r for 14 hrs at 220 to 235° at the grate. My plateau stalled at 179° for 4hrs and went to 183° and then dropped to 179° for another hr before rising to 183° again. I fork tested it and like DavidR's the flat had a little resistence. At 185° I shut the vents and let dwell for 1/2 hr. and pulled. Results were that the wife said it was very tender and tasty and it was. She had a little sauce with hers, and I ate mine straight up on fresh bread. Delish.[p]The key is obviously a good brisket to begin with, and "patience". I can see where one would give up on a long stall and call it a tough brisket and pull it off too soon. Again thanks to all that put their ideas and thoughts on the board here so I had some good ideas to start with.
Painter--With a full belly

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Painter, Have't done much brisket since I first got my egg a while back. Been concentrating on the pork & chicken stuff. As you mentioned, my first attempts at brisket were tasty but tougher then I would have liked, but I was new to the game, & really didn't have a handle on the plateau thing, or the art of a long term steady temp fire. Got a pretty good feel fot things now, & am gonna do brisket for the 4th of July - was just getting ready to solicit a general forum discussion & review of brisket basics when I saw your report - How 'bout it BGE'rs - whats the latest scoop on chunk 'o chest? Temps - times - techniques? ERIC

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    E.B.,[p]There have been a few very good discussions on brisket this week.
    Check out 7 threads below titled, "More brisket: re..."
    and click on the link below for more.
    All very useful information and most of your questions should be answered. If they are not, then ask away.
    Brisket is gooood.[p]WD

[ul][li]Good Stuff[/ul]
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Painter,[p]Fantastic Painter! I'm curious. Was it a large egg, and if so, did you have to do a lot of tweaking of the vents to keep the grate 'range' throughout the cook?[p]Also, have you or anyone else heard of using Coca-Cola as a brisket marinade, and what does it do?[p]And, can you share Stogie's rib rub ingrediants?

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Here is a recipe for Dr. Pepper marinade for brisket. This came from Belly Maynard down in Texas and is pretty good. I haven't used it in a few years, but it certainly is worth a try.[p]Also, not sure if you meant my BEEF rub...Yum Yum. I don't think I have ever posted a rib rub....though I have several dozen.[p]Let me know![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Dr. Pepper Marinade for Brisket [p]1 cup Dr. Pepper(NOT diet)
    1/4 cup Soy sauce, dark
    1/4 cup Lime juice
    1 1/2 cup(s) Oil
    1 teaspoon Hot sauce[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix all and marinade beef overnight.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Stogie,[p]Sorry about that.:D I mean't your Yum Yum Steak Seasoning. Painter was kind enough to email me your contest brisket prep from the Feb 2002 archives.[p]And I can't wait to try that the next time I do brisket. :)
    (Which will probably be next weekend)

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Here is my Yum Yum seasoning..........[p]Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning [p]4 tablespoon(s) Salt
    2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together and use on any beef.[p]Makes about 1/2 cup.