Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to grill red snapper?

Options
Mahi-Mahi
Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can get good frozen red snapper filets from this one store. I like to grill it and put a blacken finish on the filet.
Some thing like a seared steak. Do you roll the filet in in olive oil and seasoning and than put on grill.

I had Mahi Mahi at Red lobster this morning and it had a really nice finish on it. It was black around the edges. But it may have been grillled on a solid surface.
Since fish cooks so fast I assume you can not baste it while cooking.

Any ideas on temps and methods would be appreciated.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    heres an idea for you:

Snapper, Banker John

Sorry, I'm not an amberjack fan... Too bloody of a meat. You might try smoking AJ low & slow. As for snapper, AAAaaaahhhh a truly great filet!

Ingredients
    8 snapper filets
    1/8 tsp paprika
    1 stick butter
    1 egg
    For dry seasonings
    3 tsp Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
    2 tsp Kosher salt
    5 Tbsp Montreal Steak seasoning

Procedure
    1 I fill the fire box completely to the top of the fire ring and light. Bottom vent wide open and lid closed with no vent cap/daisy wheel.
    2 I have a cast iron skillet that goes on the lowest grid directly above the fire. Be sure you light the fire in one spot directly under the center of the skillet. Let Mrs. Egg rip and get good and hot (550°F on up)
    3 While Mrs. Egg and skillet are getting nuclear, prepare your fish and seasonings.
    4 Rinse filets and pat dry with paper towels. Cut out any bones or "undesirables" on the filets.
    5 In a small sauce pan, melt a stick of butter and sprinkle a pinch of paprika into the butter. Once butter melts, place aside to cool. Stir occasionally while the mixture is cooling, this is important.
    6 Mix creole seasoning, Kosher salt and Montreal Steak seasoning; blend well.
    7 Now that spices are blended well, transfer into a shaker that can be poured easily (large holes).
    8 Stir the cooled butter again. Add one egg and beat. After beating/whipping, pour into the cooled butter mixture, whip again. Now you are ready to visit Mrs. Egg.
    9 Prepare a production line... you do not want the dome open longer than necessary. This is a messy preparation so it is best to have help.
    10 Close the bottom draft door and open the dome lid.
    11 Fish goes into wet mixture to thoroughly drench it, is sprinkled with seasoning on one side and placed seasoning side down. Then repeat the process with the next piece of fish.
    12 Once the skillet is full, sprinkle the top sides of the fish and quickly close the lid. Open vent wide open.
    13 Peek after about 3 minutes. Close bottom vent, open dome and flip when the fish is cooked 2/3 - 3/4 through the filet (it will turn white as it cooks).
    14 Flip and repeat, but only 1-2 minutes.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Banker John

Source: BGE Forum, Banker John, 08/24/03

This recipe can be used for many types of fish... Flounder, Speckled Trout, Redfish, Halibut, Snapper, Grouper, etc. Be sure the filets are uniform thickness, about 1/2 - 3/4" thick.

Serves well with Yellow rice, steamed broccoli & carrots and fresh fruit salad. Left overs make great sandwiches!

Serve also with a sweet white Muscato wine, Miller Beer or Mountain Dew. ENJOY!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Blackened snapper is good. Melt a few Tbs of butter and brush it on the filets. Coat the filets evenly with blacken seasoning.

Turn your egg with the lid opening up wind. Get your egg up to nuke temps with a CI skillet in it and wait till the skillet turns mostly white or grey. If you put a drop of water in it, it should dance and evaporate in a few seconds. Throw those filets in for 90 seconds and then flip for another 90 seconds. This is where turning the egg will help, it is going to smoke like crazy, better to be on the up wind side. The smoke has a way of taking your breath away IMO. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I can see that I will have to get a skillet.