Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help-XL lid sealed shut

Options
drdonn
drdonn Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I opened my XL after being on vacation and found mold--started up a fire and let burn at 700 for couple hours until old lump used; total burn time at 700 less than 1 hour before temp started to drop. I is now 4 hours since I started the fire; it has gone out, but I cannot open the lid. Any advice for getting lid open. Temperature gauge now reads 200.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Try a thin edged putty, or even a utility knife. just run it around the egg a few times and try to wedge it in the spot that appears to be sticking more. You can tell by how far the utility knife goes in. Pry a little and then move the putty knife a little and pry some more. Keep working around the egg and eventually it will open. Inspect the gasket and if it needs to be replaced call the mothership tomorrow talk to Bobby and ask for the new Nomex gasket.
  • drdonn
    Options
    Thanks, I was able to pull it apart by putting my foot in the lower vent and pulling hard. The inner 1/3 of the gasket is cooked all around. I'll check out the Nomex with the mothership as you suggested.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    This is what it will look like once you install it.

gasket003.jpg

Dosen't stay that way long, but I have yet to burn it out or weld it shut. Can you post pictures? If so I would like to see the bolts that hold the lid in place. I had a problem wilth mine and am wondering if yours is the same way.
  • drdonn
    Options
    Ok, I think I have photos of the egg on the link below; let me know if it doesn't work. I am not sure if these are the bolts you were referring to or not. I do have the spring assisted hinge upgrade installed.

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm146/dscobaugh/
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    drdonn

Same thing happened to me. Like Mike said the nomex is the way to go. I put the nomex on and had trouble with the adhesive backing on the first cook. I removed the adhesive backing all the way around and reinstalled using 3M 77 spray adhesive. Several cooks since then and 600+ degrees twice without a problem. Make sure when you install the gasket that you keep the gasket flush with the ID of the Egg. I can send more info if you would like.