Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Answers...

Options
Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can the Eggsperts answer the following:[p]1. Is there a use for the curled end of the ash tool? It doesn't hang on any thing and looks like it was made that way for a reason.[p]2. If one cooks steak at a high temp for such a short time does it still benefit from using mesquite (or any other smoking wood)?[p]3. What is maple pepper or maple sugar pepper? It is an ingredient I have never heard of before, but is in several recipes in Barbecue America.[p]This inquiring mind wants to know...[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]1. Is there a use for the curled end of the ash tool? It doesn't hang on any thing and looks like it was made that
    way for a reason.[p]This was my very first question I posted about 4 years ago. It turns out that many of the parts used by Bge are not made exclusively made for Bge - or for ceramic cooker use. The tool is just a handle, used for other things, with a L piece welded on. The handle is a common one used and the curled end is not of any use to us with Eggs. The "grid gripper" is nothing more than a commercial pizza pan gripper.[p]
    2. If one cooks steak at a high temp for such a short time does it still benefit from using mesquite (or any other
    smoking wood)?[p]If you let it "Dwell" and toss in chips it will smoke like heck -- but be VERY mindful of flashbacks because this is the perfect situation for one!![p]Can't help with the pepper question - sorry. Check Penzys spices - they have everything.[p]Tim
    [/b]
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Tim M answered question #1 and I learned something today too. [p]As for question #2. First, I like to thaw the meat to room temperature, then marinate or spice or whatever you want to do, then put in freezer for an hour prior to smokin' the steak. Then what I like to do is to start my fire and only get it up to 175° to 200° an hold it there. Put on your smoking wood, slap the steaks on, and smoke it as long as you like, usually 30 minutes gives a strong smoke taste (My favorite). I like to turn the meat at 15 minutes. Smoke seems to penetrate colder meat easier so I freeze it slightly first.[p]Then take the meat off, and get your egg to the higher temps and do your steaks normally.[p]I don't know anything about your #3, sorry.[p]Just my way. I enjoy the results. Try it, maybe you'll like it, or better yet, come up with another method you can share.[p]Later[p]Cajun
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Went to google.com and typed in "maple pepper". Got this almost instantly:[p]Maple Pepper[p]MikeO
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    As for #1, I thought that it was used to pull out the hinge, locking it, on the older models. Maybe I'm wrong. I use it to chase off my cat....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Cajun,
    I agree with you, this is my favorite way as well. Although I do not do the freezer thing, I cook at a lower temp for the most smoke flavor. If done right, you will NOT get the bitter smoke taste as some have suggested.[p]Marv

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    Relative to #1, I use the curled end to remove the hot daisy wheel.
    B D